Working Land Without Permission

i know this will probably be met with a bit of hostility on here but what the hell!

why do people bother running their dogs on land without permission?

i was out foxing a couple of nights ago with a mate on my own land and i saw an amber filtered lamp scanning my neighbours fields a short distance down the lane. I have rights on there as well as (rather obviously) our own land so I took it upon myself to wander down to one of our other fields a little closer to where the offending beam of light came from. once we reached the field i could here scurrying and 3 chaps with lurchers were trying (in vain) to remove themselves from land they shouldn't have been on.

I called over and had a quick chat and tried to explain that they had no right to be on there, they were putting their own dogs in danger and also that as we were shooting on there we had a log open with the police (due to one neighbour who is a complete $£"&^% and will try and cause trouble whenever she sees me out with the gun - just one of the reasons we switched over to nv in the first place) so if they were called they'd be screwed.

Their defence was simply "we're only after a couple of rabbits" and after admitting they didn't speak to anyone regarding working the land went on to say they were going to work the fields down the lane on their way back to the car.

now, I know for a fact a lot of guys on here work land without permission and you may see it as harmless but there could have been a couple of different outcomes from this. 1, the field of ours they were on is where the inlaws let their dogs out and without being funny a territorial akita who doesn't play well with others is going to make short work of a small lurcher if she gets hold of it! 2, the father in law is a lot less tolerant than me and 3, if they are seen on my permissions again (and i'm usually out a few times a week with the gun) I will simply follow from a distance with the nv and wait for them to find their vehicle again and will do something down official channels to stop them poaching on our land and our neighbours. and there is existing date stamped footage and there will be further video evidence thanks to the dvr on my nv rig.

this may seem OTT for someone after a couple of bunnies but to me, the principle of it is just wrong. had the dogs gone through onto the adjacent field where next years rose crop is they could have done a lot of damage and cost us a hell of a lot of money in lost trees as they are now at their most vulnerable point of growth, there are also areas that are fenced in with chicken wire which the dog (going from our own experiences) probably won't see it in the dark, even under the lamp and they could badly hurt themselves if they went into it also, had they actually had the decency to come and ask if they could run their dogs on the land we would have happily allowed them on but pointed out where we didn't want them to be. we would also have made sure the risk of a shooting accident was removed as if i don't know they are there then i don't know if my safe shot is actually safe. if i mistook a mooching lurcher / terrior in the bottom of a hedgerow for a fox at 250+ yards i'd be mortified.

I spoke to the farmer next door to see if he had given anyone permission and he hasn't either and has asked me to report it immediately and let him know if i see the lamps again as they are coming towards lambing season and he has had losses before (when he farmed in yorkshire) through dog men and poorly trained lurchers.

so lads, think on and have a bit of respect - its this sort of behaviour from people in the sport that give it a bad name for everyone else and i reckon the primary reason so many people find it hard to actually get permisison in the first place.

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ffs give it a rest mate ,your like an old woman yapping on ,the only person going to get screwed if you rang old bill is you with your gun at night . think about it for a minute .as for poaching ive d

I'm a poacher my dogs are poaching dogs, thats how its always been and thats how it will always be, never had permission in my life, but i do have respect for the quarry the land and livestock. but u

No one can blame a farmer for being pissed off when the numptys are f***ing his land up. Who wouldn't be pissed off. Very easy to see how a few dog men makes the hole dog world look bad..again. Your l

ffs give it a rest mate ,your like an old woman yapping on ,the only person going to get screwed if you rang old bill is you with your gun at night . think about it for a minute .as for poaching ive done it all my life and will continue to do so for the rest of my life .and if for example you ever came to me at night with a gun in tow and you had rang old bill id wait until they came ,then id swear my life away you had threatened to kill me you had pointed your gun at my head and told me youd blow my brains out if i moved .the least youd get away with is a caution ,that itself will get your license revoked ,you boys with your farms etc going on about a few lads running a couple of rabbits give it a rest pal and be grateful youve got endless permo.

• Like 18

i know this will probably be met with a bit of hostility on here but what the hell!

why do people bother running their dogs on land without permission?

i was out foxing a couple of nights ago with a mate on my own land and i saw an amber filtered lamp scanning my neighbours fields a short distance down the lane. I have rights on there as well as (rather obviously) our own land so I took it upon myself to wander down to one of our other fields a little closer to where the offending beam of light came from. once we reached the field i could here scurrying and 3 chaps with lurchers were trying (in vain) to remove themselves from land they shouldn't have been on.

I called over and had a quick chat and tried to explain that they had no right to be on there, they were putting their own dogs in danger and also that as we were shooting on there we had a log open with the police (due to one neighbour who is a complete $£"&^% and will try and cause trouble whenever she sees me out with the gun - just one of the reasons we switched over to nv in the first place) so if they were called they'd be screwed.

Their defence was simply "we're only after a couple of rabbits" and after admitting they didn't speak to anyone regarding working the land went on to say they were going to work the fields down the lane on their way back to the car.

now, I know for a fact a lot of guys on here work land without permission and you may see it as harmless but there could have been a couple of different outcomes from this. 1, the field of ours they were on is where the inlaws let their dogs out and without being funny a territorial akita who doesn't play well with others is going to make short work of a small lurcher if she gets hold of it! 2, the father in law is a lot less tolerant than me and 3, if they are seen on my permissions again (and i'm usually out a few times a week with the gun) I will simply follow from a distance with the nv and wait for them to find their vehicle again and will do something down official channels to stop them poaching on our land and our neighbours. and there is existing date stamped footage and there will be further video evidence thanks to the dvr on my nv rig.

this may seem OTT for someone after a couple of bunnies but to me, the principle of it is just wrong. had the dogs gone through onto the adjacent field where next years rose crop is they could have done a lot of damage and cost us a hell of a lot of money in lost trees as they are now at their most vulnerable point of growth, there are also areas that are fenced in with chicken wire which the dog (going from our own experiences) probably won't see it in the dark, even under the lamp and they could badly hurt themselves if they went into it also, had they actually had the decency to come and ask if they could run their dogs on the land we would have happily allowed them on but pointed out where we didn't want them to be. we would also have made sure the risk of a shooting accident was removed as if i don't know they are there then i don't know if my safe shot is actually safe. if i mistook a mooching lurcher / terrior in the bottom of a hedgerow for a fox at 250+ yards i'd be mortified.

I spoke to the farmer next door to see if he had given anyone permission and he hasn't either and has asked me to report it immediately and let him know if i see the lamps again as they are coming towards lambing season and he has had losses before (when he farmed in yorkshire) through dog men and poorly trained lurchers.

so lads, think on and have a bit of respect - its this sort of behaviour from people in the sport that give it a bad name for everyone else and i reckon the primary reason so many people find it hard to actually get permisison in the first place.

What would you do if you could not obtain any permission? Would you give up hunting if so you are not what I would class as a hunter. As for threatening to basically grass lads up you have clearly defined what your calibre is.You said you would have let them on if they came and spoke to you. After you spoke to them did you offer , ok lads have a few runs then on your way ? sounds like your full of it Akitas ,short tempered father in laws n/v and assuming that dog men have poorly trained lurchers, sounds as though the Akita is the poorly trained dog. Get over yourself I have permission and others run it more than me without permission if there is something for me to run I dont see a problem.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 4

You went about with it the right way wish the was more farmers like you round my way there complete arseholes when you ask for abit perm weather it's running dogs or just ferreting you get told to f**k off after they have a rant wfor 5 mins so leaves you with having to poach and when they do see you on there land poaching they come at you mob handed thinking there the bees nees and to top them off mob handed the police are waiting at your car. Not saying you personally mate but if you's give the poaching lads a bit respect no dobt you's would soon get it back. I've been found on land by decent farmer who was decent and after a chat I got perm and its happens a few times this way. Not all poachers are mobbed up with 10 lurched slaying everything on your land there's genuine lads out there just not lucky enough to have perm

• Like 1

Jax13 some lads dont go mob handed and just have a couple of runs for a bit of sport for themselves, and have the upmost respect for land livestock and people's livelyhoods ect. But just cant get permission, so to get a little sport you have to jump the hedge at times.

• Like 3

Not saying you personally mate but if you's give the poaching lads a bit respect no dobt you's would soon get it back. I've been found on land by decent farmer who was decent and after a chat I got perm and its happens a few times this way. Not all poachers are mobbed up with 10 lurched slaying everything on your land there's genuine lads out there just not lucky enough to have perm

JP ive run out of likes so heres one ! i have /had shooting perm on quit a few acres but the keeper is small minded and wont allow dog men on at any cost along with the farmers personally i think its just lack of understanding,even when i had terriers they wernt keen on me using them :no: when ive been out shooting ive come across a few lads with dogs at night over the years"i mostly use nv now so unaware i was there " and when ive approached them they have all been genuine sportsmen not just greedy and unsporting as seems to be highlighted, all have been sent to areas for a decent run or 2 not to disturb what i was doing and ive got on with my job ! no hassel no mither just everyone getting a bit of sport ! recon if you opened up a bit you could end up with some new mates ! and a bit of extra sport if your not just into USING a rifle

• Like 5

Don't see anything wrong with his post tbh. He didn't assume dog men had bad trained lurchers. He just said the neighbour lost stock due to bad train lurchers in past, which probably is true.

I always have the decency to ask for permission, it don't hurt to ask and if your tidy about it you will soon get a few places.

• Like 2

Not saying you personally mate but if you's give the poaching lads a bit respect no dobt you's would soon get it back. I've been found on land by decent farmer who was decent and after a chat I got perm and its happens a few times this way. Not all poachers are mobbed up with 10 lurched slaying everything on your land there's genuine lads out there just not lucky enough to have perm

JP ive run out of likes so heres one ! i have /had shooting perm on quit a few acres but the keeper is small minded and wont allow dog men on at any cost along with the farmers personally i think its just lack of understanding,even when i had terriers they wernt keen on me using them :no: when ive been out shooting ive come across a few lads with dogs at night over the years"i mostly use nv now so unaware i was there " and when ive approached them they have all been genuine sportsmen not just greedy and unsporting as seems to be highlighted, all have been sent to areas for a decent run or 2 not to disturb what i was doing and ive got on with my job ! no hassel no mither just everyone getting a bit of sport ! recon if you opened up a bit you could end up with some new mates ! and a bit of extra sport if your not just into USING a rifle
. Totally agree with you there mate they Defo small minded and misunder stand us lurched lads think that's the biggest problem and why a lot of people have no perm. Nice of you to let lads have abit sport fair play to you mate

Don't see anything wrong with his post tbh. He didn't assume dog men had bad trained lurchers. He just said the neighbour lost stock due to bad train lurchers in past, which probably is true.

I always have the decency to ask for permission, it don't hurt to ask and if your tidy about it you will soon get a few places.

have they really lost stock tho to lurcher men it seems the blame is always passed to us without any real links. seems every farmer on the plannet has lossed stock to dog men. also its like dogmen are only poachers?????

about respect to the OP how about the 1000's of shooters who drive the lanes on back of 4x4's shooting anything that hits there sights. oh but thats ok because there foot doesnt actually touch someone elses land. yeah that sounds fair lol there knobs in every walk of life but to threaten to risk someones lively hood eg take car off them take dog off them and so on just for having a walk on a rabbit is a bit below the belt. we are all hunters. it wont belong before your shooting is gonna get chopped also. its time all of us stick together. obviously the bad uns can clear off but we better united then as a drift

still out of likes jp :rolleyes: nothing about being nice pal the lads were decent when i approached them generally if you approach and talk to folk in a decent manner they are the same back "always gona be the odd tw*t but ???"and i enjoy dog work as much if not more than the rifle ! i shoot to get a job done but if i could use dogs on some game rather than a rifle i would ! but needs must ! and at least im out at night :thumbs:

• Like 1