Your Favourite Cross?

What's your favourite cross for a lurcher?

I have four that I like, shame I couldn't have all of them to compare

Whippet greyhound

Bedlington whippet

Bedlington greyhound

Bedlington whippet X greyhound

I know smooth hair is harder to come across with the bedlington, but that would be a nice bonus

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

out the few iv seen work over the years the ones that stood out all had good amount of saluki in the mix

Saluki x saturated should and is capable of taking what ever quarry is in front of it, All the madam about teeth and bottle is fairy tail stuff if the blood used is the right blood. it will do the jo

I think the type of dog that physicaly fits the type of work and type of land you require it to work is a good place to start, all lurchers should have drive and decent nose etc, horses for courses as

The thing is fella, you could have all 4 and it still wouldn't be a good comparison of the cross.

The whippet/greyhound you get could turn out to be useless and the others excel. But that doesn't mean all

Whip/greys would be the same.

Personally I like lurcher X lurcher out of parents doing the job and don't tend to go for breed X breed. But I suppose you know roughly what you are getting whereas I don't.

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you mean, but a dog can only be as good as it has been trained. I'd have other dogs, but I'd want to know what crosses are in them.

I wasn't talking about training fella. I was talking about hunting instinct and work ethic. Some have got it and some haven't. Regardless of the cross.

• Like 2

Ive seen a good few dogs run over the years, and its funny because some of the ones that I have really liked, appreciated etcetc and have been good dogs. . . . wouldn't be for me. Either they wouldn't work for the quarry I hunt, the land or just wouldn't gell with my personality.

Its been said a lot over the years, but really the exact breed or x is far less important than getting something out of lines of dogs that are doing exactly what you want your pup to do, to a high level.

Having said all of that, of the dogs I've seen, some blood just seems to gell well, for example I have found collie/bull, saluki/bull and collie/deerhound types seem to breed well.

Other than bull, I've limited experience of terrier on running dogs, so maybe there is a whole world of unknown triumphs there for me to explore.

But I've a simple mind, I keep herding dogs, they mostly do what I say and can put in a good shift and have real grit, and bull dogs have a physical capacity for inflicting death and a mental capacity for receiving punishment, . . . . . and greyhounds are hella fast. So seems like a fair mix to me.

• Like 2

i used to always like first crosses or 3/4 crosses, but the last few years i much prefer lurchers of mixed breeding bred worker to worker, but if i chose one out of your list it would be first cross whippet greyhound

All the best dogs I've kept have all been bred different to each other, The top three I've had were a 1st cross collie/grey a bull/grey saluki/grey and a whippet/collie/grey/saluki/bull (can't remember %ages). The worst two were a deerhound/grey x collie/grey a collie/grey x bedlington/grey. And a range of mediocre dogs. The thing is if I was looking for a pup I would go for a pup bred the same as any of the ones mentioned because all the dogs I've had came from decent enough parents it was. Its just the way it goes, we aren't using machines so some are always going to be better than others.