Larger Hunting/bushing Dogs

roybo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My brother in law had 2 gwp x harrier bitches a few years back they were great in heavy cover and good tounge, one was killed on the road hunting a fox we took the other bitch on when she was about 10

These two are ok.     But I reckon this could be a good one. . . . .  

Cracking looking bitch  

Posted Images

I've always used my kelpies for bushing. Unfortunately, my first kelpie was clever enough to let the lurcher do the bushing but was too slow to catch the bolters so it took a while for him to realise he'd do better if he went in himself...so maybe not so clever after all!

Maybe a larger dog can't run through thick cover at "top speed" like a terrier type but in terms of actually entering cover and pushing stuff out (or catching while in there) I often think it's a bit like that quote "it's not about the size of the dog in the fight..."

In fact, since I've worked kelpies exclusively, all my catches have been in cover of some sort...apart from one exception when Rust caught a rabbit as it reached the "cover" of a water trough in a field.

Suppose it depends the ground you hunt. Had this debate before a dog the size of a kelpie or collie simply couldn't physically get into some of the cover the little dogs can. Nothin to do with drive or determination just physical capabilities. Brambles, bracken etc yes big dogs can push through it but not hawthorn hedgerows of the type many of the hedges are made up where I mooch. Rabbits aren't daft enough around my way to sit in cover that isn't tight and without a chainsaw the lurcher or anything larger size ain't getting to them, just my experience. Yes the lurcher might get low on occasions and creep through some tight cover but his wasting his time in my eyes as the job best left to the little tykes atb

• Like 2

For a long time I've really liked the 'proper' redline type airedales they use across the pond on coyote, bear, racoon, mountain lion etc. Came within a whisker of going to Germany in the hope of a pup a couple of years ago but at the last minute I went down a different road and got a little busher instead.

Love the look of your pack coverdogs - bet you have some fun with them.

• Like 3

For a long time I've really liked the 'proper' redline type airedales they use across the pond on coyote, bear, racoon, mountain lion etc. Came within a whisker of going to Germany in the hope of a pup a couple of years ago but at the last minute I went down a different road and got a little busher instead.

Thanks krawnden, yes we had a great season flushed a lot of stuff to dogs and guns.

A.T.B. Coverdogs

That busher of yours is a cracking little dog. i bet your glad you went down that road and i wish i had something similar to work alongside my one. had a nice mooch with her today she managed to grab one but for some reason she lost it, strange. atb fella.

• Like 1

He has been a pleasure to have around so far,not going to show him a thing until he's 100%with stock etc,so far he showed no interest in sheep etc,no aggression towards other dogs,he has started marking and f***ing trenching earth's lol,plan was to use him in the day but I'm toying with giving him ago on the lamp,fingers crossed he get stuck into the foxes and I be happy time will tell mate,thank you for the interest.atb dche got some mullet on him and even though he running like a pup I can tell he will have some speed and power to him,got one of the biggest heads I've seen on a lurcher ;)

• Like 2

That busher of yours is a cracking little dog. i bet your glad you went down that road and i wish i had something similar to work alongside my one. had a nice mooch with her today she managed to grab one but for some reason she lost it, strange. atb fella.

Yeah, tbh it was the best decision I ever made. Had a great mooch for a couple of hours this afternoon. She pushed out 5 pheasants, 2 woodcock and about half a dozen rabbits, one of which she followed up and caught in the open - that doesn't happen very often! Like yours, she sometimes catches but can't hang on. I think it's because her mouth's quite small and there's not much to her - if her strike is on, say, a hind leg, I think she sometimes struggles to keep hold. Never actually seen what happens so I can't be sure. But quite a few times now she's crashed through cover yipping in hot pursuit then there's a squeal as she's grabbed the rabbit but after a few seconds all goes quiet and she's lost it.

• Like 1

remember those pointer crosses very well coverdogs , had some great days hunting with them pete and rags , then there was the one that farmer shot , i was down that day lifting pups that where out of a terrier dog we had called stout , think you may have ended up with one of the pups also called stout if im correct . Was some great stuff about at that time all cross breds that would have put pure hounds to shame and could mark better than any pack of hounds , your brother and law and myself where in mayo hunting once and lost the old copper bitch the first day we where there , searched most of the night for her to no avail . Came out next morning and she was curled up under trailer , miles from home in an area she had never been hunted in before and she made her way back to the guys yard we where staying with , amazed me how she did it . Put a bet on with P.R. that the bitch would turn up in the morning , he had a cracking nice black terrier dog at home and i said joking if copper turns up you can give me the terrier , when we landed back home on the sunday , i was given the terrier and i called him buck after the lad that gifted him to me . Great times sadly long past

• Like 1

remember those pointer crosses very well coverdogs , had some great days hunting with them pete and rags , then there was the one that farmer shot , i was down that day lifting pups that where out of a terrier dog we had called stout , think you may have ended up with one of the pups also called stout if im correct . Was some great stuff about at that time all cross breds that would have put pure hounds to shame and could mark better than any pack of hounds , your brother and law and myself where in mayo hunting once and lost the old copper bitch the first day we where there , searched most of the night for her to no avail . Came out next morning and she was curled up under trailer , miles from home in an area she had never been hunted in before and she made her way back to the guys yard we where staying with , amazed me how she did it . Put a bet on with P.R. that the bitch would turn up in the morning , he had a cracking nice black terrier dog at home and i said joking if copper turns up you can give me the terrier , when we landed back home on the sunday , i was given the terrier and i called him buck after the lad that gifted him to me . Great times sadly long past

Great times alright BlackBuck , that man had some great half bred dogs about him at one time and as far as good terriers are concerned the c--t could lift something up of the street and it would work for him.L.O.L.

does anyone run bigger hunting or bushing dogs ? i'm thinking 18-20" plus or even larger ,thinking pointer or hound crosses.

not necessarily for tight cover maybe open woodland and such

Plenty do with rich reward,the land and cover you hunt should be the marker for the type of busher you own,if i hunted a lot of open countryside id own a Beagle or hound,or a combo of each.I hunt a lot of industrial sites and heavy gorse,briar and a rural landscape abounding with such,thus terrier bushers that are also useful on more open and wooded grounds.Hounds and Beagles are bred to work a more open landscape.