Can be and has been done. i've had 1 of each . Dressed for the dealer the stag weighed in at 300lb. Maybe 350lb fully intact. The hind was easy compared to the stag. But..be prepared to lose a dog playing with the big uns.

• Like 10

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics i took yesterday of the Red's out on the mountains..                  

Had myself a wander this morning,by heck it was cold brrrrrrrrrrr,where i went was hard work,i put my gps tracker on and i only walked 5.60 miles yet it took me almost 5 hours!! Uphill & uphill &a

Just a few pics from my wander this morning..   Zoomed in at 300mm     At 75mm       Mario...       Where i go to see the Red Deer..          

Posted Images

Some funny opinions on here lol never heard a bit of water will stop a deer never mind a red .... We should of gone running em in rain when it was legal they might of laid down hahaa

Well my post wasn't opinion it was cold hard facts,I never said "water stops deer" what I'm saying is,when a beast is under pressure getting tired etc it will look for any respite to save itself using the land to it's advantage and anybody that has ever run them in there natural surroundings will tell you the same.As already pointed out it seems to be part of there natural instinct to take to the water when under threat,some don't but a lot of them do.

that makes sense now. ive seen fallow stags do it a couple of times as a last resort.

• Like 1

Kenneth Cassels, one of the founder members of the deerhound coursing club, had a pure deerhound bitch called Kirsty that he used to take Scottish reds on the hill with in the 1950's. I don't know how regularly, and I don't know if she ever took stags, but I remember him telling me how she took a hind by just launching at its neck, hardly leaving a mark on it. Not sure if the beast fell and broke its neck or if the dogs' bite was what broke the neck. Kenneth was no bullshitter so I have no reason to doubt what he said. But when you consider that the deerhound was bred specifically to take red deer on the hill, and was used this way successfully on a regular basis before the widespread use of firearms, it's hardly surprising.

• Like 4

Kenneth Cassels, one of the founder members of the deerhound coursing club, had a pure deerhound bitch called Kirsty that he used to take Scottish reds on the hill with in the 1950's. I don't know how regularly, and I don't know if she ever took stags, but I remember him telling me how she took a hind by just launching at its neck, hardly leaving a mark on it. Not sure if the beast fell and broke its neck or if the dogs' bite was what broke the neck. Kenneth was no bullshitter so I have no reason to doubt what he said. But when you consider that the deerhound was bred specifically to take red deer on the hill, and was used this way successfully on a regular basis before the widespread use of firearms, it's hardly surprising.

True but 1950 is what nearly 70 year ago?(toddler bouncing on my leg) I bet the deerhounds back then were better than what's about now, and I bet the deerhound of the early 1850-1900s was totally different again .

I'm sure the deerhounds were ran as a pack and brought the reds to bay

True but 1950 is what nearly 70 year ago?(toddler bouncing on my leg) I bet the deerhounds back then were better than what's about now, and I bet the deerhound of the early 1850-1900s was totally different again .

Very true. They were nowhere near as tall for one thing - probably not much more than about 26".

I'm sure the deerhounds were ran as a pack and brought the reds to bay

Not as a pack chid - usually run as a brace. Often brought 'em to bay, but some individual dogs would tackle them - from what I understand it was very much down to individual temperament.