Hemp Nets

bobhow

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For hemp? Simple answer NO. Spun polyester is far better but when you have idiots selling purse nets @ £2.00 each then it does beg the question is it worth making your own?   TC

I mainly use 4' 6" nets i make myself, poke nets the same. As said i put a fair bit down the hole for the rabbit to put weight on tho stop it flipping the net, i usually push the ring into the ground,

you cant save him any money buy you can make sure he has a quality net for his money...

A old lad i ferreted with in the 80s used to put a few inches of twine on the end of a ring and attached was approx a 2 or 3 inch hazel peg which was pushed inside the hole he used to call them snickle pegs? and had them on a lot of his nets.

thats an interesting little technique

A old lad i ferreted with in the 80s used to put a few inches of twine on the end of a ring and attached was approx a 2 or 3 inch hazel peg which was pushed inside the hole he used to call them snickle pegs? and had them on a lot of his nets.

thats an interesting little technique

Thinking back terry he also had small pegs on one ring for going inside the hole attached by a decent size split link on the ring instead of twine on some nets.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 1

all ways nice to learn new things Darbo how did the old guys method compare to the way we set nets now was his catch rate better or about the same for the most part if the bottom ring snags on a stick at the front of the hole the rabbit is lost or do,es the net work like a small poke net very interesting ?,

all ways nice to learn new things Darbo how did the old guys method compare to the way we set nets now was his catch rate better or about the same for the most part if the bottom ring snags on a stick at the front of the hole the rabbit is lost or do,es the net work like a small poke net very interesting ?,

i didnt see many missed rabbits bob. in my opinion the peg is small which is put inside the hole so it did not work like a poke net once the rabbit hit the net it just pursed up as normal the small peg came out of the ground easy. The only advantage maybe slightly is when putting the ring in the hole with the peg pushed in. Nothing moved when spreading the net over the hole. He was a man who had his own way of doing things he thought it was better? Also the only man who would if he could when filling in a dig would try to leave the tube open by placing bricks wood etc down the sides and over the top leaving the exposed tube clear then he would backfill. We did ferret a lot of places industrial waste ground etc where sometimes these materials were to hand.Everyone has there own way of doing things i seen fast netters slow ones people who snip away every bit of debris ansd some who just fling them down untidy. Each person has their own methods and way of doing things ;)Ps attention to detail he used to call it he was a old man set in his own ways.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 2

interesting ive been rabbiting 40 plus year and thats a new one for me like they say you learn some thing new every day when setting a net i put the ring down the hole and push it into the ground so really its not much different to the way you,ve explained cheers

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How's that ferret going on pal ? The other 2 are doing great. Nice animals. Could do with borrowing a really small white hob for mating. You are still welcome at my house anytime passing.

I wonder how many have committed the big sin?? Putting your hemp nets away for 6 months, WET. Hang the beggars up and either repair or get rid of them with the hole in it. (How the heck did he get out of the net syndrome). I know, Iv'e done it. Oops.

I hang all my nets up after every outing but early May I hang the lot up in the loft on cup hooks check them over as im doing it any needing repaired gets that any binned gets replaced and they sit there out the road till I need them again , But then im old school and a job worth doing is worth doing well

• Like 2

I know for a fact theres guys that have moved over to spun nets for that reason and there there still laying wet in the bag from the last outing the next time they go out

all my nets are hang on rings to dry be they hemp or nylon or poli just because a net can take a bit of abuse theres still no reason not to look after them on ferreting days my nets are put in there bag in bundles of 3 with elastic band this keeps them tidy in the bag and helps with the count when picking up . .I,ve finished making my first batch of poli nets and am well pleased with the way it works so i might be jumping ship who knows next season i could be going out with a bag of pretty pink nets or what ever colours in vogue

• Like 2