cheers rabid ,i fancied growing a few turkeys on for xmas but because were limited with land and i keep fowl ive put it off ! do you free range them together , what area of land are they on, how many of each, are they cooped together and are the fowl on the same ground permanently ? sorry for a million questions but theres a chance i could be getting a bit extra land and this would be good to try :thumbs:

You have to make sure that the poultry have been wormed. Then it's ok to run together if you don't worm the poultry and then bring on young poults on the same ground they will get blackhead. I've experienced it myself and the poults dropped dead like flys. I reared 100 turkeys for xmas and kept them in a field next to my chickens. Not all my chickens had been wormed and where we walked from field the turkey poults contracted blackhead lost 40 odd.

Edited by stevo79
  • Like 1

cheers rabid ,i fancied growing a few turkeys on for xmas but because were limited with land and i keep fowl ive put it off ! do you free range them together , what area of land are they on, how many of each, are they cooped together and are the fowl on the same ground permanently ? sorry for a million questions but theres a chance i could be getting a bit extra land and this would be good to try :thumbs:

No worries pal, they are all on about half an acre, they are housed together in a brick built shed with concrete floor, modified with nest boxes and perches, shavings and chopped straw on the floor.

Currently 18 Norfolk black and heritage bronze turkeys, two geese, half a dozen ducks, and about 50 odd chooks of all manner of varieties, they eat, drink, sleep and shag together, and to be honest, I have kept them like this since a kid, so over 40 years now, and my parents done the same before that !

I will be honest though, I am considering separating them soon, only as the turkeys just won't put the weight on eating chicken feed, and the chickens are getting fat eating turkey food !

My plan soon is keep my breeding Turks in with the chooks, and the fattening Turks and any spare cockerels for the table in a smaller pen so they ain't shagging the weight off and running around like athletes all day long, at least that's the plan.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

I been keeping them like this for many years and no problems, I also know others who have done the same, yet have heard the stories it won't work.image.jpeg

What did you get 1st turkeys or chickens I'm amazed.

Chickens, then ducks, then geese, then more ducks, then turkeys, then more chickens, then more turkeys and so life goes on, what do you find amazing ? The odd chook dies, probably one a year or so, never lost a turkey since I started, except the b*****d that flew off !

I also used to keep some table chickens, ducks and Guinea fowl, will be getting my next lot in a couple of weeks.