• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a dry stone walling course thought I would share a couple of pics, sorry about pic quality

Posted Images

i dont like the fact you backs feked griff :laugh: just your post being a truth re damage possible :thumbs:

Aye when you are young and foolish you think you can do/ lift anything, thing you don't realize is you wear out same as anything else that is pushed to the limit, hindsight is a great thing.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job :yes::yes: When i started walling repairing walls on the Farm the Old Farmer who taught me told me that when you pick up a stone never to put down as it it will go somewhere.We never used Dressed stone.

When I'm walling everybody who walks past gives me that advice....they never accept my offer to try picking a few stones up though the clever cnuts!

• Like 1

Nice job :yes::yes: When i started walling repairing walls on the Farm the Old Farmer who taught me told me that when you pick up a stone never to put down as it it will go somewhere.We never used Dressed stone.

When I'm walling everybody who walks past gives me that advice....they never accept my offer to try picking a few stones up though the clever cnuts!

dont knock them !"they are probably wiser than you think!" i recon their back will last longer than yours :laugh:

• Like 1

Same thing applies to random walling mate, way better to make it go somewhere when you pick one up, if you mess about you get nowhere fast. I had a similar thing last week with reclaimed bricks, the bent old fashioned type, not very clean ones, most i did was a clip here and there with the trowel to get the bigger lumps of gobbo off, then just used them, turned out pretty good for a pile of shite :laugh:

• Like 1

Lovely to see the skills still in use. My dad taught my brothers and I the art. He was a right b*****d. Cold didn't seem to bother the old git and he never gave us a minute. I wonder how many folk know why there are cross stones protruding either side of a dyke? Not only that, the old man had us breaking stone to make wedges for the copers and packers for the gap as you were building. Strange thing though. Going back to the farm, Threepwood, in the borders, the walls still stand. And by the way, the roe still maraude like they always did. What a place.