Starting A Line Of Lurchers

Who actually line breeds lurchers?

I know of 2 people that have kept a line for over 35 years
thats good going. Just never hear of people breeding proper line bred stuff of lurchers, hear about it all the time with terriers though

Ah see this is what I'm try to get at in around about way when did they no they had to out cross what did they look for in that out cross when to inbreed when did they say ah got it this is the line,type we're after that kind of stuff.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no its greyhound kelpie,cost me a fukin fortune lol.had to drive 3 hrs to the ferry,get on the ship,travel to wales,get to the town of the breeder,stay for a bit,pay 250 sterling for her,drive back an

for get about breeds jest get a pup form the best dam and sire you have seen work have very very hi standuds look at dozens of dogs if you can evan more. when you are happy with a sire and dam i would

id be looking for "good temperament" in what i bred aswel as well as working ability, i cant stand nuisance dogs and nutters, no matter how well there bred, you could give me the best working dog in t

They recon them kelpies are a hard working dog compared to a collie,in that i mean a lot tougher snd harder going type of dog but i dont know if its true ss ive never had one.but i like the look of a 3/4 grey 1/4 kelpie would be nice to see some.

i was thinking on that too,a full greyhound on her,as I have access to a few track or coursing dogs i reckon(you think you have till you go about getting one)..add height and speed,but loose the nose and the charachter possibly I dont know.

Can anyone honestly prove that line bred lurchers do any better than lurchers bred from worker to worker

A better dog man than me told me not so long ago that a line bred animal is only as good as the line it has come from.. So there will be some shite line bred animals and some exceptional line bred animals same as worker to worker...

Only difference is that with line breeding you will know what your getting..

• Like 5

Can anyone honestly prove that line bred lurchers do any better than lurchers bred from worker to worker

A better dog man than me told me not so long ago that a line bred animal is only as good as the line it has come from.. So there will be some shite line bred animals and some exceptional line bred animals same as worker to worker...

Only difference is that with line breeding you will know what your getting..

isnt line breeding the best to the best ? If so, what's the difference between a week worked bull , collie, deerhound etc crossed with a well bred successful sighthound? Just curious as never really looked into it. Is line bred/inbreeding holding the characteristics and genes from two successful dogs easier?

If you where starting for scratch with a line what would u look for in a stud and dam if the be bull wheaten collie saluki and so on would u go to a straight greyhound or 7/8 hound with w bit of something else in it how would u determined what to keep and what to cull or do u keep that whole litter and work of that and cull at a later time when is a line a line what would be your next step when it comes time for another litter .

id be looking for "good temperament" in what i bred aswel as well as working ability, i cant stand nuisance dogs and nutters, no matter how well there bred, you could give me the best working dog in the country but if it was a nutter or a nuisance it be no good to me

• Like 8

I think people get to sentament with dogs, I think it's a lot easier to find a decent in time than it is to "start" a new line, why start a new line when there's dogs out there doing what you want now and have been for years. The amount of hard culling you'd have to do to even get on the right lines all because they what there own line of world beaters

• Like 2

Who actually line breeds lurchers?

we do.
i see lots of lurcher x lurcher but not exactl what I thought was line bred, thought line bred had to be related all along the line? Have no clue how it works.

I agree with cocker as well, rather have a well behaved dog and and not so good of a worker, than a top worker but a f****r to live with, no ta.

• Like 1