Best way to get dog ratting?

Want to get my Patterdale into some fieldsports and though ratting would probably be best for his breed.

Where is best places to go to get him sniffing out some vermin?

I have a stream and some woods the back of my house but never seen many rats there, is there anyway to find them or am i best going door to door with the local farms asking for permissions?

He dont know what he is "sniffing" for yet........YOU may have to find him his 1st and then let him do the rest.

Get a spade and go digging for a few, not normally that hard to find if you have a close look round the banks.

Grain and waste tips on farms are a good bet as well and not hard digging.

Have a look at Mollys thread as a picture is worth a thousand words.

thinking of getting a couple of feeding rats from local pet shop, obviously not for him to feed on but to chase down and get an idea of what to do?

I have also seen another post with someone recommending a crisp packet with peanut butter inside to attract rats! just dont want to infest my garden, saying that at least it would keep the little fecker busy!! :yes:

thinking of getting a couple of feeding rats from local pet shop, obviously not for him to feed on but to chase down and get an idea of what to do?

I think it is illegal to do that Stealth.

If you have any allotments near you try there...as you say always rats near livestock, especially birds.

Oneredtrims advice is very usefull.

Moll.