Partridge?

I don't know, I don't watch birds to be honest, I just know there's English partridge up there n never saw them all together like that before so wondered what it was. I thought it was quite interesting and good to see. I'm not that interested tho to have a row about it on THL

• Like 1

Sounds like a covey. Maybe they light clamped them all down and the cock bird puffed himself. Either way the lady at the rspb is talking bollocks.

• Like 2

Also. I sincerely doubt week old partridge chicks can fly. Are you sure they weren't bumblebees?

While to say fly would be a stretch we reared Partridges from eggs a few years back and about a week old a handful got out of the brooder, the shed brooder is in is a agricultural shed 60X30 and would guess 25 foot high and they went halfway across it and up to the trusses and landed on them. b*****ds to catch as well, would def say too early for a brood start of feb though.

The RSPB is mainly run by volunteers and don't have a clue, there are 1 or 2 that are knowledgeable but they are few and far between, I've done plenty of pest control on Deeside and Burton sanctuaries and its all about money,membership and hide watching, most are elderly with little or no idea, I took them a dead immature hobby a year or 2 ago and they never had a clue what it was,they even told me they never nested there and yet I've seen them there for at least 40 yrs, public donation and image they are good at ,but bird id then sorry you waste your time, you definitely seen a covey of partridge, seen loads out lamping and they always look a bit strange, WM

Maybe I read it wrong but sounds like you lamped a covey of partridge with the slightly larger adults and the pairs last years young which flew off with them...

No it was defininitly partridge the RSPB lady said so

She was probally some div in a call centre and wouldn't know the difference between a pigeon and a blackbird

• Like 1

Also. I sincerely doubt week old partridge chicks can fly. Are you sure they weren't bumblebees?

While to say fly would be a stretch we reared Partridges from eggs a few years back and about a week old a handful got out of the brooder, the shed brooder is in is a agricultural shed 60X30 and would guess 25 foot high and they went halfway across it and up to the trusses and landed on them. b*****ds to catch as well, would def say too early for a brood start of feb though.

Yeah fair point.