I've just sold my steyr pro mountain in .243. It was an absolute tack driver off a bipod BUT I have to admit although I loved the gun and the safe bolt system I found when I zeroed off a bipod and then shot from the truck the POI shift was very bad. I think it had alot to do with the stock flex. Mine had a T8 mod harris bipod and schimbt and bender 8x56 scope great gun very heavy and sturdy but as a foxing setup theirs more adequate Imo. I'm getting my old zastava .22-250 back for a foxing rig the steyr Imo is better suited to a stalking rifle. Personally I just wasn't 100% confident with the rifle whilst changing shooting positions.

Edited by shropshire dan

I have the T3 Lite in .223 and the T3 Hunter in .243.

Both work very well but if I was to start again they would all be Hunter versions, feel and balance works far better in my opinion, and still a light rifle!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Both work very well but if I was to start again they would all be Hunter versions, feel and balance works far better in my opinion, and still a light rifle!

I agree with that sentiment. However, if I were to buy again it'd be the bog standard Lite and simply fit an aftermarket stock. The comb on the factory stock is too low and I managed to crack my factory Hunter stock. So feck it, save the £100 and put it towards an aftermarket stock imo.

I wanted the hunter mate, but delivery time new was shocking, they quoted 3 months so went for the lite which was 3 days.

My favourite rifle is a 1980's HEYM SR20, cracking rifle, wood & blue as long as that's your thing, mines a 7x57 but .243's are

all over the place, they are a bit pricey new, but like most centrefires are reasonable second hand, and as with most stalking

rifles hardly used.

Look on Guntrader!

• 2 weeks later...

I like to buy British, where possible, so I use an RPA Thumbhole Hunter. I know it has some non-UK made components but at least it provides work for a small number of folk in this country. It's a good rifle, more accurate than I am. Does anyone know of a UK manufacturer of .22WMR rifles ?