Lenny (The Governor) Mcclean

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these THL experts that can tell if someone is juicing or not just by looking at pictures and videos of them should offer their services to the Olympic anti-doping agencies

I think a large amount of what is written in those type of books can be taken with a large pinch of salt. there written in the "news of the world" sensationalism stylee...elements of truth buttered up

I never saw anyone even come close to handling Lennie on doors,he would always get lads trying to make a name for themself but most times a simple growl or stare was enough......he was 10 or 12 years

To be fair the geezer playing Lennie does look a bit like him facially,that wild eyed look Lennie had when he was young......as far as playing him in a film he just hasn't got the size and presence to do the part justice.....besides which he,s American or Australian or something !

The film Jawbone is written by Johnny Harris he also plays the main part.... he was a decent amateur years ago boxed for Fitzroy Lodge,both these films had scenes in the Repton club though i dont think ive ever seen a good realistic boxing film yet so doubt these will be up to much either.

To be fair the geezer playing Lennie does look a bit like him facially,that wild eyed look Lennie had when he was young......as far as playing him in a film he just hasn't got the size and presence to do the part justice.....besides which he,s American or Australian or something !

The film Jawbone is written by Johnny Harris he also plays the main part.... he was a decent amateur years ago boxed for Fitzroy Lodge,both these films had scenes in the Repton club though i dont think ive ever seen a good realistic boxing film yet so doubt these will be up to much either.

Was lenny McLean for real as in a serious fighter or just a big guy beating up bums just one of these legends and the story gets crazier everytime it's told ?

Lennie was a serious handful for anybody mate......you have to remember he was around before all the crime and hardman book generation and got his reputation the old fashioned way.....he was the most sought after bouncer/minder in London for a reason,although im sure like you say stories do get crazier through time.

Imho, portrayal of historical British crime type stuff almost always ends up a bit naff.......especially if they try and take it too seriously........like the Kemp twins in that Kray film.

Made up stories always seem to come over better imho and they can inject some humour........the "true" story stuff is normally

jank !

The best British crime film in my personal opinion was long good Friday.......Bob Hoskins got the Harold Shand character just about spot on imho........but again, completely fictional characters.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

Imho, portrayal of historical British crime type stuff almost always ends up a bit naff.......especially if they try and take it too seriously........like the Kemp twins in that Kray film.

Made up stories always seem to come over better imho and they can inject some humour........the "true" story stuff is normally

jank !

The best British crime film in my personal opinion was long good Friday.......Bob Hoskins got the Harold Shand character just about spot on imho........but again, completely fictional characters.

I pretty much feel the same. I don't know why but the British just don't do gangster/villain films particularly well, it always ends up, like you say, a bit naff or cartoonish.........we seem to be far better at fictionalised social realism with a touch of crime, then we seem to nail it! :-)

The Long Good Friday was a good film, but I prefer Get Carter ;-)

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

The guy portraying him in the trailer does come across as a bad caricature :yes: Brit crime movies?The best one whith no hint of realism whatsoever is The Business,as it captures the era of decent clobber,tunes,and easy-come easy-go fast cash :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

The guy portraying him in the trailer does come across as a bad caricature :yes: Brit crime movies?The best one whith no hint of realism whatsoever is The Business,as it captures the era of decent clobber,tunes,and easy-come easy-go fast cash :thumbs:

Bang on mackem, class film with a class soundtrack. The clobber takes me back to my school days, I don't think I could quite pull off the tacchini shorts look tho now lol.

• Like 1

Bang on mackem, class film with a class soundtrack. The clobber takes me back to my school days, I don't think I could quite pull off the tacchini shorts look tho now lol.

Heres the shorts f**k me I used to love them :laugh: its knee length baggy cargo shorts nowadays,how times change :blink:

• Like 2