Goldfinch And Other Native Birds

on the subject of climate change, i was reading an article the other day, it was basically saying the earth has moved, his theory was backed up by the Inuit tribes, The Inuit use the stars to navigate and learn the night sky from neigh on birth, all the tribes interviewed said the sky had moved,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A January Blackcap.     TC

Sun flower hearts or Niger seed.

What's a black eyed wagtail look like mate ?

Posted Images

brilliant pics paulus, never see greenfinches about here yet when i was kid they were plentiful on the feeders

they have become more scarce around here in recent years,

I dont get the greenfinchs at my feeders but there is a bit if common land near me along the canal and theres plenty of green finchs and evry other finchs i think its becouse all the thistle that grows there

A few weeks ago i was out with the family on a woodland walk when we sat watching some birds in a bird hide,some other old boys were also in there and they were saying about the problem Chaffinches were having this last year with some sort of fugus growth on their legs that was resulting in some birds loosing feet and eventualy dieing.I see all the Chaffinches in your pics have also got this fungus and have you seen any with legs missing or know what it is anyone as it seems to be a nationwide problem..

A few weeks ago i was out with the family on a woodland walk when we sat watching some birds in a bird hide,some other old boys were also in there and they were saying about the problem Chaffinches were having this last year with some sort of fugus growth on their legs that was resulting in some birds loosing feet and eventualy dieing.I see all the Chaffinches in your pics have also got this fungus and have you seen any with legs missing or know what it is anyone as it seems to be a nationwide problem..

i have been collecting pictures of this for the last few months. they seem to be effected by scaly leg and/or Fringilla papillomavirus

post-896-0-15899000-1455016257_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-18823100-1455016269_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-87155200-1455016281_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-73795200-1455016600_thumb.png

post-896-0-60539900-1455016605_thumb.png

post-896-0-36864900-1455016612_thumb.png

post-896-0-18948900-1455016618_thumb.png

post-896-0-29769300-1455016632_thumb.png

post-896-0-26356500-1455016638_thumb.png

Hello Bell, Good morning to you .It is great to read, listen and to share and even learn from others who love the (wildlife) game. I think the true people that hunt, shoot, fish and work all type of dogs are better qualified in country matters than any animal- rights activists or so -called animal lover. Ever since I can remember I have been at loggerheads with the (antis).The hunting folk have an insatiable appetite for all country matters, and their thirst for knowledge far exceed any animal -rights type people who are totally ignorant to country life. We are in the eyes of such people sadists who like to torment any kind of wildlife. "How wrong they are"! I think hunting and conservation go hand in hand. Look at the people on this forum who hunt, but they love birdlife and all things nature?

But try to explain that to the (Bill Oddies), your Chris Packhams and the Brian Mays of this crazy world? They are clueless on such a such matters.

I have never professed to be anything in my life, but I do know about certain subjects, and for sure I know how passionate that many fieldSports folk are in their pursue for anything regarding hunting, conservation and many other aspects concerning wildlife.

You do like many others, like your feathered friends. For many years now I have noticed a sharp decline in the Turtle Dove numbers. For many years I did a lot of watching these beautiful little fellows in some local woodland.The woodland consists of much silver Birch and a mixture of conifer trees. Then suddenly I ceased to hear them which is of course always sad. Then funny enough some other species seems to myself to have increased in numbers. I do love the finch family and it would be rather difficult to pick a favourite out of the bunch of such a wonderful family of birds; but the Bullfinch is somewhere at the top of my list.Another is the Redpoll, Mealy or lesser I am not sure? One of my all time favourite birds beside a few others would be the (Corn Bunting).As many people will know, they are one of the most difficult of all our natives to locate their nests as they very rarely give any clues to the whereabouts of their location. Another 2 birds on my list are the elusive Woodcock and the beautiful but enigmatic Nightjar. Many apologies for going on at times, but it is great to share one's same interests in life.Something the (antis) will never quite grasp!

You obviously know you onions Lutra, it is many years since i saw a Corn Bunting and a Nightjar is a bird i have never been lucky enough to see. One of my favourites is the Tree Sparrow, i am lucky enough to have a good population where iam and had them nesting in some boxes i put up for them last year outside my bedroom window. i am hopeful they will do the same this year.

Regards

strange that they look in great condition apart from the legs

It finaly takes the legs right off them and then they die,i recon the nesting season won't go to well for them either and i predict a nationwide massive drop in numbers of them the next few years,apart from catching them all and trying to treat it indervidualy i can't see any way of helping them either...

It finaly takes the legs right off them and then they die,i recon the nesting season won't go to well for them either and i predict a nationwide massive drop in numbers of them the next few years,apart from catching them all and trying to treat it indervidualy i can't see any way of helping them either...

never heard of or seen it on wild birds, but just reading about it there they say it a mite causes it a bit like scaley face on a budgie

if you look at the photo`s i put up, the scaley leg (Mites) are distinguishable from Fringilla papillomavirus that looks like a build up of warts, shown in the first three pictures.

Hello Bell, Good morning to you .It is great to read, listen and to share and even learn from others who love the (wildlife) game. I think the true people that hunt, shoot, fish and work all type of dogs are better qualified in country matters than any animal- rights activists or so -called animal lover. Ever since I can remember I have been at loggerheads with the (antis).The hunting folk have an insatiable appetite for all country matters, and their thirst for knowledge far exceed any animal -rights type people who are totally ignorant to country life. We are in the eyes of such people sadists who like to torment any kind of wildlife. "How wrong they are"! I think hunting and conservation go hand in hand. Look at the people on this forum who hunt, but they love birdlife and all things nature?

But try to explain that to the (Bill Oddies), your Chris Packhams and the Brian Mays of this crazy world? They are clueless on such a such matters.

I have never professed to be anything in my life, but I do know about certain subjects, and for sure I know how passionate that many fieldSports folk are in their pursue for anything regarding hunting, conservation and many other aspects concerning wildlife.

You do like many others, like your feathered friends. For many years now I have noticed a sharp decline in the Turtle Dove numbers. For many years I did a lot of watching these beautiful little fellows in some local woodland.The woodland consists of much silver Birch and a mixture of conifer trees. Then suddenly I ceased to hear them which is of course always sad. Then funny enough some other species seems to myself to have increased in numbers. I do love the finch family and it would be rather difficult to pick a favourite out of the bunch of such a wonderful family of birds; but the Bullfinch is somewhere at the top of my list.Another is the Redpoll, Mealy or lesser I am not sure? One of my all time favourite birds beside a few others would be the (Corn Bunting).As many people will know, they are one of the most difficult of all our natives to locate their nests as they very rarely give any clues to the whereabouts of their location. Another 2 birds on my list are the elusive Woodcock and the beautiful but enigmatic Nightjar. Many apologies for going on at times, but it is great to share one's same interests in life.Something the (antis) will never quite grasp!

You obviously know you onions Lutra, it is many years since i saw a Corn Bunting and a Nightjar is a bird i have never been lucky enough to see. One of my favourites is the Tree Sparrow, i am lucky enough to have a good population where iam and had them nesting in some boxes i put up for them last year outside my bedroom window. i am hopeful they will do the same this year.

Regards

Hello Bell, My offer still remains if anyone want's to see the (Nightjars) this coming season. Any genuine people can send myself a message if they would like to see this beautiful bird. A friend who we knew from our childhood days came in Nottinghamshire last year, he lives in Scotland. Also to any of the Scottish guys on this forum, do any of you know a place in Scotland called Loch Etive? I spent some wonderful times there after foxes approx 30 years ago now.

Regards

Hello Bell, My offer still remains if anyone want's to see the (Nightjars) this coming season. Any genuine people can send myself a message if they would like to see this beautiful bird. A friend who we knew from our childhood days came in Nottinghamshire last year, he lives in Scotland. Also to any of the Scottish guys on this forum, do any of you know a place in Scotland called Loch Etive? I spent some wonderful times there after foxes approx 30 years ago now.
Lutra, I will take you up on your kind offer re the nightjars, I will dig out one of my white handkerchiefs !!
  • Like 1

never heard of or seen it on wild birds, but just reading about it there they say it a mite causes it a bit like scaley face on a budgie

if you look at the photo`s i put up, the scaley leg (Mites) are distinguishable from Fringilla papillomavirus that looks like a build up of warts, shown in the first three pictures.

Is there anything that can be put in water or feeder that could cure it

Is there anything that can be put in water or feeder that could cure it

scaly leg is easy to cure if you have a license to catch them, the other has no known cure and only effects chaffinch and bramblings

As a lad( not that long ago lol) I was told that yellow wagtails come in different races, or types. Lots of greys and pieds here tho

As a lad( not that long ago lol) I was told that yellow wagtails come in different races, or types. Lots of greys and pieds here tho

Heard the same thing said about illegal immigrants