I've had these for the dogs for the last year or so . They cost a fair bit ( think mine were 9 quid each bit) but they last forever . My big dog chews like a machine and with anything plastic etc him and the little one ruin within days . The filled bone ones used to last a week or so but we stopped getting them as a few times he has split them and luckily me or the Mrs were there to bin them when they broke . The deer antler ones just seem to get worn down and when they end up rounded I take a saw to them and cut a few grooves to expose a bit more marrow and off they go again .

I was wondering if they do anything to the antlers before selling them or if a antler straight from a deer is suitable . I have a huge antler at my dads I acquired from a shed clearence I did years ago . I was wondering if that would be suitable to give to the dogs if I cut it up or if after a certain amount of years it wouldn't be worth it . I'm assuming the antler in question is over a decade old

ive just heard somewhere recently that some dogs have needed vet attention after swallowing these so take care ,on your other point if you have one thats a shed find i would avoid using that your never sure what chemicals could have been spilled on it over the years ,given what i said i give my dogs the complete heads off any deer i shoot it keeps them occupied for hours ,i may have been fortunate to have no issues but generally the only thing left are teeth

• Like 1

ive just heard somewhere recently that some dogs have needed vet attention after swallowing these so take care ,on your other point if you have one thats a shed find i would avoid using that your never sure what chemicals could have been spilled on it over the years ,given what i said i give my dogs the complete heads off any deer i shoot it keeps them occupied for hours ,i may have been fortunate to have no issues but generally the only thing left are teeth

That's a good point about chemicals . Just have to keep it as it is , did plan on making a knife handle of it but wouldn't know where to start . It's a huge antler , only a shame I only have 1 of the set

I buy the big variety of antlers and they never get small enough to get swallowed . Every now and then when I feel flush I will buy 2 new ones . Usually twice a year so they don't get small enough .

I used to get give cow knuckle bones from the butcher and he would chew on them for hours in the yard but there would be loads left and flies would start circling ( it was the height of summer ) and if end up throwing it . Also have him the shits like you wouldn't believe . Was like a tap coming out of his ring piece lol

I have now switched from antlers to buffalo horns for the dogs to chew on. They do not seem to develop sharp edges or splinter up.

Maybe my dogs not as much of a power chewer as I thought lol . Mine seem to get chewed to a dull round shape with the constant grinding on them . Will keep a eye out for buffalo tho

• 3 weeks later...

My Lab loves them , palmated tops of the fallow she goes through in double time , the lower she gets the harder it gets . The wife supplies every one in work that's got a dog with chews ...blunted a few saws cutting them up ..

As I tap away she's working through her latest antler

post-81636-0-61378200-1456168622_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1