After A Cocker For Stud

Stretch177

I've finally come to a decision on what to put over my Lakeland terrier and the help of you lads/ladies will be greatly appreciated. The terrier I have is spot on when it comes to rabbiting, ratting, marking, but she won't quite work how I want her to bushing. She works too far ahead and once she's onto something there's no stopping her. This is good for most of the time and works on the land I have, which is mainly farm land, open fields etc, but I think breeding her wilth a cocker will give me abit more control. The girlfriend has a Cocker bitch from working stock and I've taken her out a few times and although she's abit submissive, she will quite happily work the bush and has flushed out a fair few birds and a couple rabbits for the other dogs!

Problem I'm having upto now is finding reputable people with cockers for stud. I know a few people have this cross on here and are very happy with it, so I would appreciate anyone who has any info or knows anybody who has a dog for stud.

Cheers Stretch

• Like 1

Wanting to go down the all purpose route mate. Ferreting will be mainly marking, holding them in the nets etc, rest take care of themselves. Ideally I'd get a dog for the job, but lack of room, plus thinking this cross would work well for me, I'm going down this route

Is it a bushing dog you're trying to produce? Or an all purpose mutt? Ratting, rabbiting, bushing etc?

Atb

Gaz

is there any difference then?using the word busher almost comes across as a one trick pony type where in reality a decent busher is more than capable of as you say being all purpose,a good one will take readily to working with the ferrets,as well as bushing rabbits and taking rats and have enough spirit to shift larger stuff that may be reluctant to bolt ,just asking not sure what you mean exactly mate cheers

No joe777 I lack room on my team of dogs, for a dog that is primarily for bushing, hence me trying to breed the best dog to fill all my needs! I have a beddy whippet, plus the terrier, both are quality dogs in what I want then to do, but the beddy is reluctant to get right in the bush and the terrier works to far ahead and too head strong! I was always going to breed the terrier as she has strong working lines, has a great temperament with family and other dogs, is a great little worker and her prey drive is second to none. I've been thinking for a good year and a half about what dog suits my needs going forward and I think a mix of a spaniel and a terrier would be ideal for what I need. Pups wise I already have 3 people who want one, so once there here I won't have a problem finding them homes.

• Like 1