Mooching Dog

Can the way I hunt effect a dogs mooching ability? When I go out I often try covering as much ground as possible over a few hours. Then whilst I'm out I might knock a few hedges or abit of woodland. I think its obvious I dont give my dogs Time to work up and find things for themselfs and I'm the moocher and not them. I have seen nottzhunters bitch find her own stuff and I have noticed bull breeds and Wheaton crosses both be good moochers.

You're too young to be a moucher yet mate, give it time, once the back, hips, knees, and other parts start dropping to bits, you'll be ready to hobble alongside the hedgerows trying to keep your jukel in sight
  • Like 6

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the best mooching dogs are made, not bred. out at as early an age as possible. No lead, no slip. Just out with its owner. At every opportunity. Finding, chasing and learning. Its no surprise that mo

I've mostly kept Mouching dawgs   Back in the day,..I did own one or two lamping/coursing types, good honest triers ,that pulled down the odd hare and deer,..but nowadays, I only need a wee cur dog

Love a good mooch..I've a smart mooching bitch she works alone or with a couple of terriers great nose drive and agility and a good strike on her .. collie/ grey

Posted Images

Can the way I hunt effect a dogs mooching ability? When I go out I often try covering as much ground as possible over a few hours. Then whilst I'm out I might knock a few hedges or abit of woodland. I think its obvious I dont give my dogs Time to work up and find things for themselfs and I'm the moocher and not them. I have seen nottzhunters bitch find her own stuff and I have noticed bull breeds and Wheaton crosses both be good moochers.

I think you've gotta take your time and let the dogs work cover. I will happily stand for 10 minutes and let the dogs work a hedge or ditch.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, trying to cover as much ground as possible. I might only cover 1.5-2 miles in an hour, somebody marching on could double that.

• Like 2

THANKS FOR THE REPLY FODRN GOOD POINTS OF VIEW .WHAT WOULD BE IN THE BREEDING OF SUCH A DOG?IN ANY ONES OPINION.THANKS.I

Shepherd x or some of the Australian pastoral lurcher crosses or a gundog x .

But I should think any lurcher would take if brought on right,there's plenty people on here doing it with anything from saluki or bull x to pure breeds of dogs.

I would want a dog that doesn't stand out either.

the gsd x grey are Brill mooching really are :yes: , my big dog Buck goes in any cover if there a bird in there or fur, for such a big dog to do what he does is spot on, and his nose is great, all Alsatians have good nose and good coats+feet . even old Bryn who was good in the day , just let Buck go in the cover and he waits outside he not daft bloody collies lol.

Iv been really enjoying mooching this season with my spaniel and lurcher it's great fun daytime can get abit to serious sometimes walking up n down big fields all day like a mad man, just took the spaniel this morning and watched her work some gorse and then onto a reed bed for a good 20 minutes I just sat on the dry stone wall watching her I knew it was a matter of time then a pheasy lifted out of the reed bed I whistled her back in n was ready for heading home when she went back to work in the reed bed so I left her to it and 5 minutes later a out shot a hare and Iv got her to stop on them aswell now good fun..

• Like 4

Iv been really enjoying mooching this season with my spaniel and lurcher it's great fun daytime can get abit to serious sometimes walking up n down big fields all day like a mad man, just took the spaniel this morning and watched her work some gorse and then onto a reed bed for a good 20 minutes I just sat on the dry stone wall watching her I knew it was a matter of time then a pheasy lifted out of the reed bed I whistled her back in n was ready for heading home when she went back to work in the reed bed so I left her to it and 5 minutes later a out shot a hare and Iv got her to stop on them aswell now good fun..

spaniel got to be prob the best at this job, mind you ive seen rough coated jacks great at cover, but a lot of dog are not keen on stingers on there feet lol, but spaniels don't seem to mind , bloody tough old dog is a springer/ cocker :yes:

• Like 1

whats in your dogs breeding lads? that you do think gives it that bit extra for mooching.also reading these great posts i think a lot of people enjoy the peace and quiet in what you are about, a thousand questions answered in a mooch about.peace of mind.atb

My old dog loves it gets everywhere and into anything brambles whatever and also ranges well if need be and if there's something about more often than not she'l find it she's a saluki lurcher I v a younger saluki X aswell and she's got a right good nose on her but doesn't range as much or do dence cover the same as the older older one..

With the land I mooch I need a team of dogs to all play a part. If I have eny chance to catch owt..and a terriers really handy..as said my small lurcher is really fast of the mark for the bunny's what brakes cover then my pup in a few months should be a big help with her speed for eny things else that's been hunted up or flushed from cover..one dogs no good to me..

Fair play mate we all got our own way.

Its great with a lurcher and terrier and maybe a little bolting ferret and a pocket full of nets.

Thats my Saturday/Sunday escape (not this morning as it torrential!)

The terrier has really helped with the learning of this new pup, every walk with her something happens, she'll push cover or mark well to drop a ferret in for a bolt.

Spent all my time as a kid "mooching" with my little whippet x, I was 8 when I got him and he went everywhere with me, never a lead we'd just walk out off down the road and come back later with a rabbit or 2 if we were lucky, on our estate there was a few of us back then with mongrels that would randomly meet up down the woods or accross the fields, don't remember calling it a mooch, but thats how we spent a lot of our time.

• Like 4

Yea its a slow thing.Lot of stuff is marked then nailed in the seat

If I'm honest the terrier nails as much as the running dogs, often the rabbits don't want to break cover so she'll nail em in, not as exiting but I don't mind, I like her to get a bit of glory every now and then lol

• Like 1

whats in your dogs breeding lads? that you do think gives it that bit extra for mooching.also reading these great posts i think a lot of people enjoy the peace and quiet in what you are about, a thousand questions answered in a mooch about.peace of mind.atb

Nail on the head there mate,

Was having a mooch last Sunday morning, bolted a couple of rabbits, then watched a herd of fallow crossing between 2 sets of woodland a few fields up,over the hill, just enjoyed watching them for the 10 mins or so they were moving across the field and jumping the fence between. It's as much being out amongst it all as catching.

• Like 3