Mooching Dog

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the best mooching dogs are made, not bred. out at as early an age as possible. No lead, no slip. Just out with its owner. At every opportunity. Finding, chasing and learning. Its no surprise that mo

I've mostly kept Mouching dawgs   Back in the day,..I did own one or two lamping/coursing types, good honest triers ,that pulled down the odd hare and deer,..but nowadays, I only need a wee cur dog

Love a good mooch..I've a smart mooching bitch she works alone or with a couple of terriers great nose drive and agility and a good strike on her .. collie/ grey

Posted Images

THANKS FOR THE REPLY FODRN GOOD POINTS OF VIEW .WHAT WOULD BE IN THE BREEDING OF SUCH A DOG?IN ANY ONES OPINION.THANKS.I

I've got a wheaten/collie/bull/grey and a deer/collie/whip/grey, like chalk and cheese both physically and in temperament.

But they are both handy mooching dogs. I think they need a decent nose and then the rest comes with time in the field. Out every day learning new things. Little by little it all comes together.

• Like 2

I've been out today with my little pack there all.under 1 yr old.but the older bull x.has really opened my eyes.hes following is nose even through thick brambles. ferns.and stays out in front about 100 yds.works to hand signals a treat can send him anywhere.and any open space he just stands scanning for any movement.very keen dog.

Im just getting the terrier starting to do some bushing but the bull x is bushing better lol.

• Like 4

THANKS FOR THE REPLY FODRN GOOD POINTS OF VIEW .WHAT WOULD BE IN THE BREEDING OF SUCH A DOG?IN ANY ONES OPINION.THANKS.I

Shepherd x or some of the Australian pastoral lurcher crosses or a gundog x .

But I should think any lurcher would take if brought on right,there's plenty people on here doing it with anything from saluki or bull x to pure breeds of dogs.

I would want a dog that doesn't stand out either.

• Like 2

:hmm: I've mostly kept Mouching dawgs :yes:

Back in the day,..I did own one or two lamping/coursing types, good honest triers ,that pulled down the odd hare and deer,..but nowadays, I only need a wee cur dog, to assist me in my work....

Anything else would be a waste.. :D

For my Winter work on the rabbits,..I need a hunting up,..100% marking sort,.. gifted with a quicksilver mind and a natural ability to adapt to any given situation or awkward paying job,..

In my mind, the Moucher's dog is an opportunist hunter,..just like its owner... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 15

phils last sentence is right on it, and from the pics ive seen on here I would say tjones Mars is the right sort ,bringing home fur an feather or landing fish.

Also what do you consider a mooch for some its a wander with no set plan or agenda

For others it to go out to get something edible for own consumption so whilst no set quarry it's more like foraging with dog/dogs.

• Like 2

My small lurcher does all I need when we're out mooching, but as said mooching can mean a few different things to different folk.She suits me enyways for our walks.. Great nose. Always finds big bunny's if there eny about.handy now with my pup.. Hits cover hard.if there's birds rabbits or deer in there she nos it..she's pretty much took over the terriers job.not as good due to her size she's never gonna be able to get places were the terrier gets but she sure trys..so for me and the little I no..the nose is really important.. She don't like fish like Jim's mars though.. Lol.

been mooching today along river banking and old industrial ground covered with bramble blackthorn etc I had my bull grey and I ended up putting it on lead for my wallets safety so it really depends what your best mooching ground is like imo

• Like 1