• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the eating outside setup in my garden, being covered with twin wall poly we don't worry when it rains. We even BBQ stuff in the winter and fetch it in to eat. You can see the smoker alongside

Ready for the egg wash.

I made a smoker from a 2 drawer filing cabinet. It has a hole in the bottom where a burner ring sits, which is used for hot smoking. If I need to cold smoke, there is a metal flap which folds down cov

Posted Images

we do a venison and kidney pie "well we do a batch of mix to freeze and then thaw it out and put a puff pastry top on when were ready to eat

3kg venison chunks

1.5kg kidney chuncks

6 decent onions chopped and softened in butter

2 tins chopped tomatoes

3tbs tomato puree

bottle stout

flour the venison and kidney then flash fry to brown ,remove from pan chuck in butter and onions to soften then put in tomatoes and puree bring to boil ,add the stout and chuck meat back in and simmer for a bout 15 mins to thicken (usually ok but if not add a bit of cornflour) then box up and freeze until ready then put in a dish and chuck a piece of puff pastry on top and cook for about 20/25 mins until the pastry is done

• Like 1

I'm glad my efforts are different to Devon fighter's. To start with, from a roe I would usually only use either neck or foreleg. When I make the pastry I use (for example) 2 lbs flour, 1 lbs baking margarine, salt to season and a teaspoon baking soda. Lightly mix the ingredients until you have a nice even dry mix. No lumps. Gradually add water or a mix of water and milk until you get a nice pastry. (Trial and error I'm afraid). Put on a flat plate, cover in cling film and into the fridge. 1/2 to 1 hour should be good. Enough for about 8/10 pies, so scale down to your requirements.

(Approx). 2 lbs venison, 1/2 pound belly pork deskinned and those horrible little bones removed, 2 large onions, 1 lbs button mushrooms, 2 large potatoes, 1 leek, salt and pepper to your taste and a generous teaspoon of mixed herbs. Olive oil or similar to start the proceedings. 1/4 pound Stilton cheese.

Heat the oil in a fairly large pan and add roughly chopped onion. Let them cook for about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and leek which again have been roughly chopped. Add the seasoning an herbs, turn down low and cover. Leave for about 10 mins occasionally stirring. Meanwhile, cube the venison into fairly large chunks. Add to the pan and mix gently. Now mushrooms can go in, whole, now or later as they will reduce quite a bit. Cover and cook on a very low heat for up to 2 hours, stirring once in a while. Don't want it sticking.

Take pastry out and leave on the side for a little while. Grease the inside of your pie dish/dishes. Now I usually line the base, fill and then put the top on crimping the edges but I suppose it depends what type of pie you want to end up with. Most of mine go elsewhere so I prefer the all round pastry. ( horses and courses).

Anyway, in with the filling which should be of a nice thickish consistency as the potatoe will have broken down. Add a layer of Stilton before you put the cap on. Trim and crimp. Air holes and an egg wash should finish the top. Into the oven at 165 for 40/45 minutes and hey ho away you go.

To be honest I've tried that many different sauces within the mix because as I say to my mates It' how I feel at the time and what's available. I find that venison, as a meat, dries out fairly quickly ŵhen cooking hence the belly pork.

• Like 1