New Pup- First Terrier

Hi all. Picked up a pup yesterday border x patterdale 9month old. Green as they come. This is my first terrier as always had running dogs. I dont do any earthwork and stick to ferreting, bushing and ratting. Whats the best way of getting it going on the bushing and rats.

thanks in advance

Get it out as soon as you can and as often as you can as you are already behind the game, at 9 months my bushing terriers are smashing through the cover, you need to get out with lads that are really hitting the cover regularly, when your pup hears the hue and cry it will join in and learn quickly, good luck D, Plucky

Hi all. Picked up a pup yesterday border x patterdale 9month old. Green as they come. This is my first terrier as always had running dogs. I dont do any earthwork and stick to ferreting, bushing and ratting. Whats the best way of getting it going on the bushing and rats.

thanks in advance

Get it out on a regular basis in an environment where it can find scent a chase that will encourage it to chase,follow and hunt,as you,ve never done earthwork you may have to learn along with the sapling,or lose it,happy hunting.

• Like 3

What abkut for actively hunting rats. Found a good few runs and holes. Is it a matter of trapping 1 and letting it have a go

its illegal to release a live rat to your terrier mate and not something to talk about on an open forum, all good ratting terriers and bushers have one thing in common and thats a good nose,following scent is what catches things, as previously said find a few boys that are working the cover or ratting to get your pup going,break it to ferrets and livestock as most ratting is around farms,etc, within a short time you'll be on here as an expert, Plucky

• Like 3