just a quick question lads i have a small holder with fox prob no sets on land so there travelling in around in the last week he has lost 30 ducks geese and chickens even taking them in the morning 10.30am yesterday while he was in the kitchen so thought id set a few traps seeing as i have 3 about the place wondered what ya recommend for bait.i set a couple last year for him but got sick of catching the cats any advise

It's awkward when there's a lot of cats about as they eat pretty much the same stuff as the foxes and I'm sure the "best" baits vary from area to area.

Purely from my personal experience, the baits I've had most luck with are:

1: Pigeon (by far)

2: Cat or dog food

3: Sardines

4: Chicken carcass left over from Sunday lunch.

I've never caught anything using rabbit.

Never trapped a fox, but I would have thought the best bait would be what they are going there to feed on. Chicken or duck carcass, may have the added bonus that the cats are used to them so may leave the bait alone?

TC

• Like 1

I've caught many foxes over the years, with various dead animals and other bits. We use to have chickens and if the fox ever came round I'd set my trap but I would find I'd catch when the bait such as a dead chicken left behind had near enough rotted and never on fresh meat. Other place I've caught them on fresh bait within an hour. I think it probably depends on what other food is readily available and how wary the fox can be. Each fox is different.

Good luck though