22 mag/ 223

hi ive spoke to firearms officer a bout a variation,its a rifle for the foxys im after,whats the maximum range on a 22magnum,i wont be shooting past,about 180 max,ive got a 22 rimfire an 12 bore just now,but was looking at adding something else to my cabinit,i can get up to a 243 if i want it,also whats the range difference,between ,222,,223,,

The .22mag rimfire puts out highend 200ftlbs and a .223 around 1300ftlbs. The rf will do the job at 100yards with good shot placment.

If its for foxing then i,d personaly go with the .223 as theres not much differance between the 222 and 223 apart from ammo availabilty and price. The .223 is a little more powerfull and faster, its flat for 200yards and easy to shoot at 300yards... . Its now a UK legal caliber for mutjac and cwd wich is a nice consideration.

However if as you have been offered a .243 then go for that as its a deer legal cal also and will do everything you will ever need ;)

dont forget to put down for a mod at the same time :doh:

Edited by auto culto
The .22mag rimfire puts out highend 200ftlbs and a .223 around 1300ftlbs. The rf will do the job at 100yards with good shot placment.

If its for foxing then i,d personaly go with the .223 as theres not much differance between the 222 and 223 apart from ammo availabilty and price. The .223 is a little more powerfull and faster, its flat for 200yards and easy to shoot at 300yards... . Its now a UK legal caliber for mutjac and cwd wich is a nice consideration.

However if as you have been offered a .243 then go for that as its a deer legal cal also and will do everything you will ever need ;)

dont forget to put down for a mod at the same time :doh:

I'd go along with most of that BUT.......22WMR is available up to nearly 350ft lb....I think it is a great fox calibre and I agree with 100yards (or so), but my view is 180 yards is pushing your luck!

.243 is generally accepted for both fox and of course deer but the ammo is not cheap and you are unlikely to get if for deer these days unless you have done a DSC1 or you can show deer experience! Daft I know..."here you are, your .243 for fox, by the way you can't shoot deer with it until...."

222-223, no contest, 223 has the edge on power and ammo choice is wide varied and cheap, both CWD and Muntjac "legal" though!

Close fox ...up to about 120 yards I would chose the .22WMR every time.

Longer shots the .223.

If I had to select just one for all fox work it would obviously be the .223.

The mod is a good point but also remember these are all supersonic, the mod will make it quieter for the SHOOTER ONLY, it makes virtually no difference downrange, so the mod has limited effect, costs a fortune effects the balance etc...but I still have them on ALL my rifles.

Just the same this fox business gets very personal, there are more different calibres approved for the fox than any other quarry and everyone will tell you what they use is best!

Deker

Guest JohnGalway

For fox, go for .223. In this case it IS that simple. More ammo choice, cheaper factory rounds and it's a current and very popular calibre. If you want to reach out a little further then a 22-250, if you want fox and deer .243. But, since you want it for fox under two hundred yards it's a no brainer, .223.

A moderator is a good idea, none of us are particularly worried about the foxes hearing as he'll be dead before he hears it. YOUR hearing however is not replaceable. Negative point is the extra weight.

[thanks lads,think ill be going with the 223,ive got a mate with a 22/250 so if anythings a bit far ,well use that the rifles just for foxys,not really intrested in deer,saying that the 223 legal for roe deer in scotland,i think ill check,places i shoot only have roe on them,no reds ,sitka or anything ive had a few foxys with my 22,more with the shotgun,whats the cost of rounds for the 223 ,thank you stuart

Guest JohnGalway

Not sure of the price of them in the UK TBh but in Ireland I've paid anything from (even did the conversion for ya) £8.60 for Federal 50 grain hollow point (does me out to 200 yards so far) up to £25.85 for some fancy Remington stuff (boxes of 20 rounds each) that didn't shoot near as well. It'll depend on what your particular rifle likes, or you can get into reloading and roll your own to suit.

[thanks lads,think ill be going with the 223,ive got a mate with a 22/250 so if anythings a bit far ,well use that the rifles just for foxys,not really intrested in deer,saying that the 223 legal for roe deer in scotland,i think ill check,places i shoot only have roe on them,no reds ,sitka or anything ive had a few foxys with my 22,more with the shotgun,whats the cost of rounds for the 223 ,thank you stuart

Take a look on the "Reloading Optics Ammo Accessories" the thread AMMO...I have listed a few cheap ammo suppliers. You can pay as little as 13p-14p per round for .223 but you can also pay a £1 or more per round. Price is obviously important to most people but you will have to find a round that suits you, the gun and the quarry and just hope it is nearer the bottom of the price range rather than the top!

Deker