What Age To Retire Your Dog.

Some keep going on and on,myself personally if the dog was stiff/sore for a few days after I would be looking at slowing down its work load,some won't last long if let to rot in kennels,don't hurt to let them tag along,if they made old bones then they be sat at my feet chilling until the day I look at them and they let me now they want out,if they serve you for years it's a c**ts trick imo to off load and get in new,I like a pup to be around an older steady dog,can help bring the youngster on (hopefully lol)depends on what type of person you are really?I got space to kennel 5 dogs, 2 runners and 3 terriers comfortabley,at the minute I got 2 coming upto 8yr old,1 at 2 yr old and 2 under 12m.no more unless I lose one out working or they don't cut the mustard- (always a bonus if they don't get stolen mind)dog will let you know,and a good dogman will too and do the right thing when the time comes.atb dc

• Like 4

I suppose its what kind of work your doing with it ,? if say lamping with couple long hard nights, then then 6-7 year old there prob coming to the end of it. But if mooching ,and few easy runs in the lamp some dogs can still catch at 8 - 9 years old, my collie x grey Bryn will still knock 7-8 rabbits over in the lamp, and mooch for couple hours , and he 8 year old. But I use Buck my young dog who 3 year old , for long hard nights lamping, and at his age he spot on now :thumbs::yes:

• Like 2

I don't think there is a definitive age for a dog to retire. There are a lot of variables to take in to account. the amount of hard physical work the dog has done through it's life. The feeding and quality of care it has received, all count towards it's longevity. Like us they all grow old but some remain active a lot longer than others for various reasons.

TC

• Like 2

I don't think there is a definitive age for a dog to retire. There are a lot of variables to take in to account. the amount of hard physical work the dog has done through it's life. The feeding and quality of care it has received, all count towards it's longevity. Like us they all grow old but some remain active a lot longer than others for various reasons.

TC

:thumbs:

My collie grey is 7this year, she has caught an awful lot of foxes and she is still as fast as she ever was, I personally think she will have next season in her and that will be her lot, although I am struggling with what to do with her she retired as cant fetch her in the house, and her work drive is so that if she isn't out she's bouncing around in the kennel, decisions...

My collie grey is 7this year, she has caught an awful lot of foxes and she is still as fast as she ever was, I personally think she will have next season in her and that will be her lot, although I am struggling with what to do with her she retired as cant fetch her in the house, and her work drive is so that if she isn't out she's bouncing around in the kennel, decisions...

what about mooching with her, collies have good noses on them, she could find game in the day. my older dog 8 year old, and that what I do plenty of mooching 2-3 hours every other day, that will keep her ticking over . and clam In her kennel :yes: