What's Your Opinions Of Taking Spaniels Ferreting?

If you see enough rabbits when ferreting and make sure she not moves for sitting she should get used to not chasing them, I wouldn't be tempted to let her retrieve them though. You would have more control over the day and no outside pressure, you could spend time doing as you wish rather than say sitting behind guns on a pheasant shoot to make her steady, where there a lot of other distractions both for the dog and you.

As for when beating and chasing rabbits, I've not been ferreting since I was a kid ( I hope to get back into it with my children ) and my spaniels will look to chase if they notice one,I guess if you go ferreting they will notice EVERY rabbit though I can stop my springer, no chance stopping my cocker which is a law unto herself anyway.

err that probably didn't help much. :)

I use my wirehaired Vizsla when we are shooting ferreted rabbits, he marks holes and works the rushes before we start ferreting. He sits and doesn't chase when rabbits bolt and he does get to retrieve most of them. He has been known to chase rabbits in the beating line but I don't make a huge thing over it and 9 times out of 10 I can stop him no bother.

He is rock solid on hares and deer and we often stand on shoot days with roe deer running past us and on the moor during the grouse season he just watches hares away

If you see enough rabbits when ferreting and make sure she not moves for sitting she should get used to not chasing them, I wouldn't be tempted to let her retrieve them though. You would have more control over the day and no outside pressure, you could spend time doing as you wish rather than say sitting behind guns on a pheasant shoot to make her steady, where there a lot of other distractions both for the dog and you.

As for when beating and chasing rabbits, I've not been ferreting since I was a kid ( I hope to get back into it with my children ) and my spaniels will look to chase if they notice one,I guess if you go ferreting they will notice EVERY rabbit though I can stop my springer, no chance stopping my cocker which is a law unto herself anyway.

err that probably didn't help much. :)

Thanks mate I'll take that into consideration, I think it'll steady her a lot more sitting and staying all day. Cheers!

I use my wirehaired Vizsla when we are shooting ferreted rabbits, he marks holes and works the rushes before we start ferreting. He sits and doesn't chase when rabbits bolt and he does get to retrieve most of them. He has been known to chase rabbits in the beating line but I don't make a huge thing over it and 9 times out of 10 I can stop him no bother.

He is rock solid on hares and deer and we often stand on shoot days with roe deer running past us and on the moor during the grouse season he just watches hares away

Yeah mine tends to chase the odd rabbit but she's getting better, I'll not let her retrieve I'll keep her watching it might steady her more, cheers bud

• 2 weeks later...

I take my girl out with the ferrets, she's still learning to mark the sets but I'm able to call her off a chase if needed. Defo hasn't hindered when beating and a hare pops.

Do you keep her on the lead or on the stop whistle when something bolts? Cheers

• 2 months later...

I take my girl out with the ferrets, she's still learning to mark the sets but I'm able to call her off a chase if needed. Defo hasn't hindered when beating and a hare pops.

Do you keep her on the lead or on the stop whistle when something bolts? Cheers

Whistle.

• 2 weeks later...