Spaniel X Running Dog

On 24/01/2016 at 8:06 PM, fourtrak73 said:

Its first real season coming on well, eager to please, always got its nose down. Its not the fastest bitch in the world but doesn't miss much, perfect in the reedy fields. Belongs to my pal Ste, another season under its belt to calm down and it will be perfect. A few pics.post-27532-0-00829000-1453665991_thumb.jpg

Are you still seeing this bitch out and about Fourtrak? There have been a few interesting threads over the years concerning Gundog x lurchers... has anyone bred one/bought one of late?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just put my jrtxwhippet over my patterdalexspringer. I'm not sure the pups, if the mating even takes, can really be called lurchers but I'm hoping for some fast and driven mooching dogs. The russ

Mine is 3 this month I believe. Dam spaniel.....sire lurcher,,, she's 21 inch and quite long, heavyish front end, but lurcher looking from back....when sat looks nothing like a lurcher.   It's unus

Been out with her again today knocked a rabbit out the reeds it didn't get two foot before she picked it up. She also missed two pheasants by millimetres but she will get the hang of that. A real plea

Posted Images

back in the 70s a mate of mine had a lab cross he was a tidy dog for mouching another bloke in the village had one his was a bit racier and cought the odd hare, walking home one night we had just hares and I saw a rabbit squatting and cought it by hand tommy begged it off me and for the next 20 years always mentiond that when he saw me, made me smile tonight, I have a first class cocker dog would leave a good pup to a grew dog never stops and always finds the unfindable when picking up.

Think a spaniel whippet or a spaniel x lurcher (21 tts) would make an ideal mooching dog for someone who does a lot of daytime work around sets ,be it ferreting or trapping snaring and every little bit on the lamp.

be ideal for a ferreting man who worked hedge rows /reed beds / wood lands 

1 hour ago, Mustelid said:

Are you still seeing this bitch out and about Fourtrak? There have been a few interesting threads over the years concerning Gundog x lurchers... has anyone bred one/bought one of late?

still going strong its my mates bitch, very handy thing she is too have a crack at anything

23 hours ago, Mustelid said:

Haven't seen it this season but had some good fun with it last season day and night

That's good to hear. I often wonder why such lurchers are not more common.

If anyone wants a Springer stud for such a cross a good friend has a field trial winner who hunts hard yet is extremely biddable. He's a leggy dog, ideal for a greyhound bitch!

The last post his in theory correct but there will always be odd ones from beddy types and collie types. I seen the collie spaniel Lurcher xs and they were very good and far away better for the hunt up type lurchermans dog. And we're very stable and no hypeer what so ever. With bags a stamina drive and phenomenal scenting abilities and of course very biddable.easy train .atb bunnys.

1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

Lot more obedient/trainable than bedlington cross.  More drive to get on hunting than collie x.

That's my thoughts as someone who's had more experience with spaniels than lurchers. Why don't we see more of them? Anyone got a greyhound bitch?!

23 minutes ago, Mustelid said:

That's my thoughts as someone who's had more experience with spaniels than lurchers. Why don't we see more of them? Anyone got a greyhound bitch?!

I would think the straight spaniel grey could be headstrong, and maybe hyper ,when spaniel xes with say a collie or terrier beddy etc,chances are they steady down better for the creation of a Lurcher xes to a Fast Lurcher mixing it up  has wonderful affects on the outcome of the Lurcher.a blip sometimes gets better than large dollops of a breed..atb bunnys