Off Shore Work On Gas And Oil Rigs.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing he could do just now would be to find an alternative career. The oil industry is in huge decline at the moment, with thousands of jobs gone and thousands more at risk.I don't work offsh

I have been offshore for nearly 27 years and never known it this bad , i would say stay well away for a good few years yet because it is getting worse by the day , i have taken work at home

Yeah there are a few platforms being commissioned at the minute.   You can do specific offshore apprenticeships or you could do what I did and get a relevant trade/apprenticeship and experience ons

Bricklayer s pull over a grand a week nowadays .

Not trying to sound like a prick but I can make a grand a day but not in the current climate ...there can be big money to be made if you are half decent at your job .....I've got a few mates that have went from +\- a grand a day to not working most of last year it's pretty grim in my area at the moment and as has already been said no ones job is safe ....it doesn't look like getting better soon ...we just have to ride the storm and reap the rewards when it picks up again

• Like 2

Not trying to sound like a prick but I can make a grand a day but not in the current climate ...there can be big money to be made if you are half decent at your job .....I've got a few mates that have went from +\- a grand a day to not working most of last year it's pretty grim in my area at the moment and as has already been said no ones job is safe ....it doesn't look like getting better soon ...we just have to ride the storm and reap the rewards when it picks up again
Agree mate it goes up n down,next year bricklayers may be back to shit money.if your working long hours away from home then you need good money,what I was meaning was working from 7.30 to 4pm bricklaying payd good money and is quite stable At the minute.

Agree mate it goes up n down,next year bricklayers may be back to shit money.if your working long hours away from home then you need good money,what I was meaning was working from 7.30 to 4pm bricklaying payd good money and is quite stable At the minute.
No worries mate I was just trying to point out what money can be made in the oil industry ....lads that have been making that kind of money are now on the bones of their Arse with the big mortgage ,big car and pop star life style ...the oil price drop has been felt by everyone across the world who are directly or indirectly involved From the hookers,bar owners ,taxi drivers to the big manufacturing companies and everyone in between ....I was shooting pheasants the other week and a keeper was telling me even that lads who after shooting a hundred driven grouse last season were just carrying on and shooting big bags but last season he said after about 80 brace that was enough there have been a lot of cheap driven days going up for grabs up here ....another story is that Audi in Aberdeen have had a few thousand of there cars on hp returned it really is affecting lots of people .....I'm away to Brunei tomorrow for a month and have 4 months work in Vietnam after that so that has given me a bit of a piece of mind ....I was supposed to be building a new house last year but have put that on the back burner as I just don't know what's around the corner my job seems safe enough but we have laid off over 20000 and another 8000 by June this year so it could all change tomorrow ....not good times
  • Like 1

Hi all.

My 19 year old son has a interest in going working on the oil or gas rigs.

I know that some members on here does that for a living and was wondering would any one be able to tell me what type of courses, tickets or education he would need. And where would be the best place to go and do these things.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Atb j.

Mate, he will need his BOSIET (survival), offshore medical, MIST, ABS , and some form of qualifications in what he wants to do, wiil set him back a few thousand straightaway. offshore in the UK sector is at an all time low mate and definately not the time to try and get into the industry I now loads of lads with loads offshore experience and qualification all sat at home paid off mate. The days of just getting your surviaval ticket and landing a job are long gone mate.

Hope everything works it self out for those involved, couldn't think of nothing worse than not knowing when your next pay packets coming from

belive it or not but some of the best times in my life have been when I never knew we're a wage was coming from you just seem too get on it
  • Like 1