Off Shore Work On Gas And Oil Rigs.

Hi all.

My 19 year old son has a interest in going working on the oil or gas rigs.

I know that some members on here does that for a living and was wondering would any one be able to tell me what type of courses, tickets or education he would need. And where would be the best place to go and do these things.

Any help would be well appreciated.

Atb j.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing he could do just now would be to find an alternative career. The oil industry is in huge decline at the moment, with thousands of jobs gone and thousands more at risk.I don't work offsh

I have been offshore for nearly 27 years and never known it this bad , i would say stay well away for a good few years yet because it is getting worse by the day , i have taken work at home

Yeah there are a few platforms being commissioned at the minute.   You can do specific offshore apprenticeships or you could do what I did and get a relevant trade/apprenticeship and experience ons

The minimum He'll need is Survival certificate used to be called an RGIT

Robert Gordon institute of technology it's in Aberdeen but there's other places round the country do the course google it you should get some info.

Hi all.

I know that some members on here does that for a living and was wondering would any one be able to tell me what type of courses, tickets or education he would need. And where would be the best place to go and do these things.

Atb j.

The best thing he could do just now would be to find an alternative career. The oil industry is in huge decline at the moment, with thousands of jobs gone and thousands more at risk.

I don't work offshore but do work within the sector.

There are a few on here that do work offshore, and I doubt they'd tell you any different.

• Like 3

Hi all.

Atb j.

The best thing he could do just now would be to find an alternative career. The oil industry is in huge decline at the moment, with thousands of jobs gone and thousands more at risk.

There are a few on here that do work offshore, and I doubt they'd tell you any different.

Heard it on news last week/week before? Over thousand jobs wasn't it?

Believe me when I say that are investing in New build platforms. Just where they are Going to be is what's changing. North sea is in a constant expand contract situation. But there is work and it will be there for a long time to come ;)

Fleetwood nauticle college is a good start for advice.

Yeah there are a few platforms being commissioned at the minute.

You can do specific offshore apprenticeships or you could do what I did and get a relevant trade/apprenticeship and experience onshore, then worry about trying to get offshore once the price of a barrel of oil rises back above the cost of a KFC family bucket.

I'd look at national grid, power stations and petrochemical apprenticeships if I were you.

GaZ

• Like 2

Hi all.

Atb j.

5 scaffolding mate have just been laid off of the rigs this week

My brother had to lay 40 odd bloke's of "by order of the management" he runs a exploration rig in the Irish Sea... I think things will improve but at this moment its not a great time to be going into the industry. Make sure your lad has a plan B.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Atb j.

5 scaffolding mate have just been laid off of the rigs this week
Scaffolding ? Not just me that struggles with Predictive text then ,lol was it 5 thou?