Road Kill Badger

Right I would just like to know where I stand before I harvest the head from a long dead Brock which is laying on the verge on my way home from work . If I take photos to prove it is a road casualty can I be done for having it

• Like 1

I've looked into this before, it's a bit hazey and I can't find anything too definitive. It's all about what can be proved and how the animal was obtained.

Make notes of where you found it, date, time, location, along with photos and you should be okay I think.

This is off a taxidermist website...

Once you are satisfied that the cause of death was not illegal, make a note

of all circumstances surrounding the death then contact your taxidermist.

If you are unable to ascertain the cause, the information you do have can

help your taxidermist to decide if your specimen can be mounted.

The taxidermist must have this information to hand if it is requested by an authorized person.

In Irish law if you kill a wild animal on the road with your vehicle the carcass then becomes your property basically to make you responsible for disposal of it. Say you hit it and then it's yours as long as no lead turns up in it when they scan it then your screwed if you claimed you killed it.

Right I would just like to know where I stand before I harvest the head from a long dead Brock which is laying on the verge on my way home from work . If I take photos to prove it is a road casualty can I be done for having it

If your in the UK yes you can face prosecution, I did the very same my self picked up a road kill badger, applied for a RTA certificate ( road traffic accident) within two days the police were round with rspca and badger protection group and I was threaten that if I was to interfere with a protected species dead or alive again I would face prosecution. I argued black and blue it would have been squashed all over the road, not interested any of them……..next time leave it be or face being charged. They then took the badger away to dump in a field for nature to take its coarse

If your in the UK yes you can face prosecution, I did the very same my self picked up a road kill badger, applied for a RTA certificate ( road traffic accident) within two days the police were round with rspca and badger protection group and I was threaten that if I was to interfere with a protected species dead or alive again I would face prosecution. I argued black and blue it would have been squashed all over the road, not interested any of them..next time leave it be or face being charged. They then took the badger away to dump in a field for nature to take its coarse

Tossers.

• Like 2

If your in the UK yes you can face prosecution, I did the very same my self picked up a road kill badger, applied for a RTA certificate ( road traffic accident) within two days the police were round with rspca and badger protection group and I was threaten that if I was to interfere with a protected species dead or alive again I would face prosecution. I argued black and blue it would have been squashed all over the road, not interested any of them..next time leave it be or face being charged. They then took the badger away to dump in a field for nature to take its coarse

Tossers.

The tossers had me worried lol, as I had two terriers at home at the time and a badger mask on the wall, a very old mask, I don't think it helped my case lol

• Like 1