Ticking Time Bombs With Stock

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

any type of dog will have a go at sheep, the breeds or type don't come into it .Farmers have had collies for years never kill sheep ,then one day out of the blue they had one, never trust a dog 100

IMO a dog that has never chase sheep in its life is more of a time bomb than a dog that has and been corrected.

Thing I find some lads forget walking a dog through sheep and hunting a dog around them is totally different when a dogs energy is up and sheep and running over the place it's very different to just w

A dog could be the best thing on the planet but if I couldn't trust it with sheep It wouldn't be staying here..

Doesn't make much odds to me. It's nice if they are stock broke but certainly not essential. I can go weeks without seeing a sheep. And even then it's only one field so not hard to avoid them.

My brindle bitch is 90% with sheep. My pup is unreliable at best. Had her walk through them one day not looking and the next day want to kill them.

I will persist with her, and she will probably come good, as said its nice to be able to trust them around stock but not essential for me.

A lot of places I go have sheep so it's imperative any dog I have is bomb proof otherwise the permission I've worked so hard to obtain over the years will be gone like the wind, even while sneaking about I wouldn't go with a dog that wasn't right out of respect for who's ever land and sheep they are, it's a bad time right now as there all all in lamb and farmers understandably are on pins as the slightest spook can make them abort, I've places weather permission or a blind eye that I've been going to for years and some of the farmers even tho they know the dogs are spot on don't want me in with the sheep at this time and I just gota roll with it other farmers are a bit more laid back but not many..

In saying this tho I've never found it a problem as I just get them amongst sheep from a very early age regular and never found it difficult I just meant that if I ever needed to buy an older dog in for any reason my first question would be is it right with sheep and if not I wouldn't touch it even if it was a super star ; )

• Like 1

IMO a dog that has never chase sheep in its life is more of a time bomb than a dog that has and been corrected.

very good point, it only takes abit of cover/hedgerow and the dog knowing its out of sight to pin one. I shouted at my dog and he give up chase, took me a few goes and running towards him pissed off, he looked at me and came in, give him a right shouting at , no firm hands he knows he was out of order. I kept him off, and walked straight towards the 5-6 sheep cornered in the gate way, was about 6 FT away and they darted everywhere and the dog never even glanced at them , waited for them to go and give him positive reaction. All has been well since.
  • Like 1

My pup put a sheep on its back when he was around 13 month old and realy tryed it on was the first time he was of the leash around sheep and he had only seen them a hand full of times I corrected him for it and he knew he had done wrong now if I see sheep in a feild I normally leash him up and walk thro watching the dog to see if he shows interest so far so good so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best

Guest Snitch99

I got rid of the mother your pup for same reason. But it really isnt down to the breeding or lines. Its down to the lad who places the lead on and off the Neck. Hope u sort it never a good do. All the best

Edited by Snitch99

As said by bird trust no dogs 100% but I will say dont forget the Greyhound in the mix. The only bad bullxs Ive had that have been dedicated sheep killers have been 3/4 Greyhounds.

Also I have never had a dog that cant have its thinking changed with a PAC collar used properly..

As said by bird trust no dogs 100% but I will say dont forget the Greyhound in the mix. The only bad bullxs Ive had that have been dedicated sheep killers have been 3/4 Greyhounds.

Also I have never had a dog that cant have its thinking changed with a PAC collar used properly..

Collar sorted mine out!

I put loads of time into mine from the word go

14806271100_7b66ecdb13_b.jpg

even when he was house bound with his injury I plonked him in the boot and drove to gate way just to keep at it.

Kept at it through the summer

18340423468_ddb66fc1a5_b.jpg

then this season off the lead working around them and going well and I was relaxing more. Then one day decide to test him and walk straight through a flock. Not my best idea and I was gutted at the time. But it probably done us good as I like to think he was testing to see how far he could get away with and he found out not far. I made it clear wasn't happy and since he won't even look at them. He won't be tested now until next sept as they are all in lamb now so not worth the risk. But we will brush up on it through the summer and all will be good :thumbs:

I like to think good things don't come easy and all that lol

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Cheers 99 but as I said its not through neglecting her early training etc . she was through sheep ever day as a pup . I always put a lot of time and effort into the early stages of a pups life . I suppose they have to make mistakes to learn you have a problem when they never learn . I will let you know how I go on 99

Thing I find some lads forget walking a dog through sheep and hunting a dog around them is totally different when a dogs energy is up and sheep and running over the place it's very different to just walking through when I live there's sheep everywhere you turn and a lot of them are wild as feck in the summer when the covers up I take the dogs where there's sheep and cover so when the sheep are coming over of the fern they check what's come out but instantly ignore depends what you want really iv even when pups thrown a dummy into a flock of sheep and got the pup retrieving it can't leave nothing to chance iv got to trust my dogs with sheep well out of sight where I hunt

• Like 5

I found when mine was hunting and rabbits about he was focused on them sheep didnt even register. He made his error when were just walking and a few moments before he had a made moment belting around. I thought at the time this isnt the best moment to test him and I should have listened :wallbash:

Funny isnt it.had s bullx at 18month come to me and it would chase em.my bullxwhip I got now had never really been taught rrgardz sheep but will course game right threw them and return the same . not a prob atall,even when they run...nothing

Same here had a good dog once that I never spent time with stock for what ever reason he just seemed to know. When he was two one morning early start in work I spotted a hare couple of fields away I lobbed him over the wall and off he went. Lost it then started coming back and I suddenly realised he had to come back straight through a flock and he never batted an eye