Ticking Time Bombs With Stock

Right lads the inevitable has happened . went for my usual daily walk over the fields bull x in tow she was doing her normal stuff mooching about as we approached the flock of sheep that she has seen and passed walked through since the age of ten weeks with no problem what so ever today was the day the red mist descended and she decided she was having a taste . I always feel its only a matter of time with certain lines of the bulls . pisses you off though when it happens especially when you have purposely put a lot of time and effort in for those reasons . nothing to do with boredom out every day for a good run over the fields sees plenty of gear just seem get to an age were they just cant help themselves . not an open invite for bull x knockers lol . as I say certain lines I have a bull grey whipp and a saluki grey bull no probs at all

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

any type of dog will have a go at sheep, the breeds or type don't come into it .Farmers have had collies for years never kill sheep ,then one day out of the blue they had one, never trust a dog 100

IMO a dog that has never chase sheep in its life is more of a time bomb than a dog that has and been corrected.

Thing I find some lads forget walking a dog through sheep and hunting a dog around them is totally different when a dogs energy is up and sheep and running over the place it's very different to just w

had dogs having ago but soon sorted it as they realised there mistake , they thought they were deer in a big wood , walker throughwith a long leash and whippy stick a few taps will put her [BANNED TEXT] , thye can never be trusted but seen dogs who soon lernt alot of colies ibve sen want to grab them but soon get toberd up , not alls lost

If it was her first time I wouldn't be to bothered depending on age I live right in the middle of land of the sheep and nearly all mine after they caught a bit have a little go corrected straight away and plenty of walking through and mine don't turn a head these days

• Like 1

Funny isnt it.had s bullx at 18month come to me and it would chase em.my bullxwhip I got now had never really been taught rrgardz sheep but will course game right threw them and return the same . not a prob atall,even when they run...nothing

• Like 1

any type of dog will have a go at sheep, the breeds or type don't come into it .Farmers have had collies for years never kill sheep ,then one day out of the blue they had one, never trust a dog 100% maybe 95% with them, always keep a eye on them. :yes:

• Like 14

I will have her out on a long rope and get right through them again and put her straight but its the trust thing now you always feel they have done it once at some stage they will do it again. if I was to drive on I wouldn't do much as its mainly sheep country up here no what you mean though better save than sorry that's why I put a lot in as a youngster . the nature of the beast I suppose

• Like 2

Had an issue when Tia was a pup up the glens I took her off the leed see what she would do she took off chasing playing I got her back and gave her a tight slap in the jaw , never had a problem since

• Like 1

My collie x chased once not killed but he run at them as if he wasn't sure if he should? Sort of confused. This wasn't long after he accidentally run a deer... so think that could of been the confusion. And I know sheep are white but they are still related somewhere I'm sure. Atb with the correction

• Like 1

basically what I was trying to get at is the lads with the golly bred reece bred animals find them hard work breaking them to stock no matter how much work you put in to them they get to an age were they seem to think everythings fair game cows horses you name it very head strong

A dog could be the best thing on the planet but if I couldn't trust it with sheep It wouldn't be staying here..

Doesn't make much odds to me. It's nice if they are stock broke but certainly not essential. I can go weeks without seeing a sheep. And even then it's only one field so not hard to avoid them.

My brindle bitch is 90% with sheep. My pup is unreliable at best. Had her walk through them one day not looking and the next day want to kill them.

I will persist with her, and she will probably come good, as said its nice to be able to trust them around stock but not essential for me.

• Like 1

my dogs have to be 100% bomb proof with sheep,every farm i run on is teeming with them,start pups in amongst them soon as there innoculated,andtake them through sheep and lambs every day very fortunatethat i can do it,farmers keen as mustard round my perms,only ever had 2 dogs that were hard to stock train, they were a bullx and a bedlingtonx greyhound,had these crosses since and managed to get them sorted with sheep,i certainly wouldnt keep a dog that had killed sheep too much hassle;

• Like 3