Rabbit Loin, Bacon And Asparagus Cottage Pie

I've been cooking this one for quite a while now, which has become a family favourite, that will have even the most anti hunting guests scraping the bowl.

http://9ttfsv7.jpg?1

I have always considered rabbit loins too good to use in my bunny burgers and pasties, so remove them to use elsewhere. Seeing some smoked bacon loins in Sainsburys, I thought that they would make the perfect combination for a cottage pie with a cheesy mashed potato on top. Cooked in a creamy sauce, the whole dish takes about 30 mins.

The recipe is here http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/rabbit-loin-bacon-and-asparagus-cottage-pie/

Edited by kenj
  • Like 9

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been cooking this one for quite a while now, which has become a family favourite, that will have even the most anti hunting guests scraping the bowl.   http:// I have always considered rabb

Another beauty. Liver pate from what was left hanging in my porch the other night. Did an onion, red chilli, mushrooms, belly pork, sage, thyme, black pepper and salt. Lined the loaf tin with streaky

I'm a chef by trade and love to cook with game. This was a dish I cooked for myself and the misses, a bit pretentious but that's the standard I work too! Lol   Slow roasted leg of rabbit, Pan seared

Posted Images

I'm no chef jok, but even my wife was impressed. She even suggests it now. Tried to get some more pics up, saw them in preview, but not in the post. Must be doing something wrong there. Still the blog is only a click away.

post-98608-0-40691200-1453399254_thumb.jpeg

Another beauty. Liver pate from what was left hanging in my porch the other night. Did an onion, red chilli, mushrooms, belly pork, sage, thyme, black pepper and salt. Lined the loaf tin with streaky bacon and covered with same. Absolutely lovely. The guys ate it with some of my chilli pickled onions and bread and butter with there usual tipple.post-98608-0-40691200-1453399254_thumb.jpegpost-98608-0-40691200-1453399254_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Did a rabbit, bacon and greens pie, and it was lovely.

Rabbit loin courtesy of my dog ( he had the rest ) and then pork from my neighbours pigs ( I help move them, and graze them in return for cuts) and greens from the polytunnel. Made a fabulous pie - great hot that evening, and then cold with pickle the next day, and then in sarnies the next day with the pastry chucked at the dog. It won't help his waistline, but won't won't be on mine either !

• Like 2

In future I shall grab the phone and take a photo before I grab the knife and start cutting !

puff or short crust lara and did you hold the mix together with a white sauce ?

I made a batch of puff pastry - I tend to do a load at once, and then split it into bags for the freezer, rolled into discs the right size for the pie dish, and then I just defrost one as and when I need to, to be a top for a pie. I end up with a half dozen discs stacked up like pizza bases, ready to use, in the freezer. They only take 40-45 mins to defrost once out, so it saves a lot of time. I didn't put much of a sauce in, as I knew I was going to have some cold the next day, just the rabbit flash cubed and shaken in some flour with salt and pepper, and then lightly browned in some butter so it was sealed and coloured, before adding the bacon and greens. If I know the pie will be gone in one sitting, I use more sauce - either a white one with flour/butter/milk/peppercorns/bay leaves/onion or a more gravy based one if the meat can take the flavour.