Sparrow Hawk Prey Items.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One from last year, pishing down

Hello to all readers, and hoping everyone is okay. I just thought of writing a short post mainly about the elusive and somewhat diminutive Sparrow Hawk. These birds have always held a fascination for

I was hawking with a male goshawk in 'Constable' country a few years back & as usual I put up a woodcock whilst working the cover, the gos flinched, but never left the fist......& as I watched

Posted Images

Fireman, interestingly there's a letter in a recent Countrymans weekly regarding Buzzards killing Little Owls.

The writer reckons the owner of his local Owl sanctuary is blaming the Buzzard for the shortage of Little Owl numbers.

It's interesting to hear that coming from an obvious BOP lover.

• Like 1

Fireman, interestingly there's a letter in a recent Countrymans weekly regarding Buzzards killing Little Owls.

The writer reckons the owner of his local Owl sanctuary is blaming the Buzzard for the shortage of Little Owl numbers.

Buzzards can be b*****ds, they are the magpie of the hawk family :D

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Cheers, D.

If it's got a hook beak it's a b*****d mate...☺️

Cheers, D.

If it's got a hook beak it's a b*****d mate...☺️

Yaaaaawwwwwwnnn.........

• Like 2

I've seen them several times taking blue tits in my garden; usually plucking them from a bird feeder. The odd thing is that there are always far more house sparrows (nearly two dozen) in my garden than blue tits but he always seems to favour the blue tits.

Also, I can always tell when they've moved back into my local wood to breed as there's a sudden and dramatic increase in wood pigeon kills.

i used to watch a pair that lifted starlings regularly . it was like they where working together. one would fly low along the hedge this would make them lift and fly through a pylon the other used to wait in a tree at the other side and nail one as they flew through the pylon. i was surprised at the fact they had a bit of work to do to finish them not a quick kill like i thought. awesome little birds.

• Like 1

i used to watch a pair that lifted starlings regularly . it was like they where working together. one would fly low along the hedge this would make them lift and fly through a pylon the other used to wait in a tree at the other side and nail one as they flew through the pylon. i was surprised at the fact they had a bit of work to do to finish them not a quick kill like i thought. awesome little birds.

Many years ago i was heading to a cracking pipe under a eletric pylon which allways held a fox and i heard this mad wirring sound comming from the other side of the hedge and as i popped my head through a gap so see what it was a spar went upside down and plucked a starling out from the flock who's mass of wings were making the wirring sound,it happened feet from my face and something i know i'll never see so up close again.I did watch a female spar chase a partridge a good 250 yrds across a stubble field the other day,the spar was slowly loosing ground on it as they went over a far hedge and it was looking good for the partridge :D .Another thing i saw and a couple of others while we were waiting for the guns to get to pegs the other day was a BOP that was massive and the total wingspan of one of the 2 crows that were trying to mob it wasn't even one wing of this BOP,much larger than the buzzards weve been plauged with and it must have been either a golden eagle or a sea eagle :hmm: ..

• Like 2

Many years ago i was heading to a cracking pipe under a eletric pylon which allways held a fox and i heard this mad wirring sound comming from the other side of the hedge and as i popped my head through a gap so see what it was a spar went upside down and plucked a starling out from the flock who's mass of wings were making the wirring sound,it happened feet from my face and something i know i'll never see so up close again.I did watch a female spar chase a partridge a good 250 yrds across a stubble field the other day,the spar was slowly loosing ground on it as they went over a far hedge and it was looking good for the partridge :D .Another thing i saw and a couple of others while we were waiting for the guns to get to pegs the other day was a BOP that was massive and the total wingspan of one of the 2 crows that were trying to mob it wasn't even one wing of this BOP,much larger than the buzzards weve been plauged with and it must have been either a golden eagle or a sea eagle :hmm: ..

Maybe Sea Eagle? As you probably know, there have been sightings along the East Anglian Coast in very recent years.........there was a rumour that perhaps a proposed release program, that had been halted, may of gone ahead anyway??

• Like 1

We came up with the sea eagle because of that very reason and i do think a few have been released allready Accip, :victory: ,would say it was a odd thing to see in the arse end of Norfolk but it being the arse end of Norfolk nothing is off limits oddity wise :laugh: ..

• Like 2

I'd reckon Sea Eagle. They've been releasing them up here for years. Some of the birds are sat tracked and I'm sure I read that one bird released in Fife on the east coast was on the Solway Firth on the west coast the next day. If it wasn't released locally, a bird released from Scotland could find it's way there easy. Think all the released birds have wing tags which are hard to miss.

• Like 1