• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of the last ones I made, two Oak tops and a kids antler one. None of my sticks will win any prizes, because I do not like them like a snooker cue. Some say it's because I cannot get the straight

Stick in progress

Meaning to fit this head onto a nice stick so chose this hazel   Don't know how to Finnish it what you suggest

Posted Images

Not being funny pal, but are you sure that is hazel? Never seen it enlarge as it goes up. Looks more like blackthorn. Just my opinion.

Are you talking to me jok?

Positive it's hazel mate cut it from a wood I copiced a few years ago

Sorry Cushty. Yes I was talking to you. That just didn't look like hazel to me but if you did the coppice then who am I to argue. Anyway, nice stick. I'm going to try and post a couple of my efforts, both natural root. See how we go.

Sorry to say the pheasant beak got busted but you get the idea. I' ve made a lot of these, mainly as gifts to permissions which has helped a bit. I try to find unusual roots or growths and go from there. I have one on the go at mom which will hopefully be a fieldmouse done in holly. Takes a bit of time though?

Strange but must be voiced. I've never heard of anyone stripping hazel. I thought the beauty was in the bark when varnished?? Can only think of stripped holly and blackthorn. Beautiful when finished nice.

ill try and get some of mine gathered together in morning and try some pics ,ones a bit like triggers broom "had it as a major user for the last 37 years " think its on its 3rd shank now and not a clue to ferrules lol ,i fancy doing a buffalo horn crook soon never done horn before ! that link tiercel put up of the bufallo horn has stared it off again ! im with you jok on the bark of hazel

• Like 1

When I think of all the hazel I've used as bean sticks, it makes me boil. Some of them, straight as a die, ending up warped and fckd. My dad used to bend the Rams horns and make beautiful handles onto hazel, which, in the Borders, wasn't too plentiful. He went a long way to get the sticks (in them days).

i got a stash of shanks probably about 5 years back now but all hazel ,glad i did cause there a bit thinner on the ground now weve moved ,could do with a couple of blackthorn now ,im drawn to knob sticks and i think the color of blackthorn works well with a knob stick or root handled stick

• Like 2