Countrymans Weekly

Used to get it every week religiously,but seems to only cater for the shooters and c**ts that look down their noses at anyone who don't keep a gun dog etc.from what I'm told bignames that write for if have distanced themselves from the terrier boys etc?won't waste anymore of my coin on it,I pick it up slip through it and rip out the recipies in the back,best bit IMHO. Like already mentioned they condone dog theives like the warrener makes me wonder how truthfull the people writing for it are?didn't that nimrod prick try and make trouble for edrd mag?aĺl the terrier articles are about ratting with plummers wtf-they have their own agenda imo and are biased to all fieldsports that don't involve large wedges of coin passing hands (200 bird days,deer stalking etc).atb dc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always got this since nearly day one when it was the old shooting new but it's been getting worse and worse and the letters are that stupid they must be made up by the editor and staff now the p

Bloody kiddy fiddlers where's my torch an pitchfork.

Be careful using words like 'pseudo' on here mate, you'll start a lynch mob! Haha....

I thought it was sammy Vaughan,I read one article about when he had a dig he used to roll out a sheet of plastic,and put sand on there then when he finished he used to just pull the sheet back over the hole.

I was thinking of Les white,,,,

But your right teapot ,,,he was another,,,, samy Vaughan from Powys ,,,,like you say I remember him saying that about a sheet of plastic ,,,made it easy to backfil

Do you think with social media, these forums and books ..

People are less impressed with CMW as they are getting their hit in so many other places..

What was more appealing back then ??

As I kid I read plummer books and loved them..

If I was reading them now, id think differently about them.

What type of stuff would people like to see in CMW ??

• Like 1

Do you think with social media, these forums and books ..

People are less impressed with CMW as they are getting their hit in so many other places..

What was more appealing back then ??

As I kid I read plummer books and loved them..

If I was reading them now, id think differently about them.

What type of stuff would people like to see in CMW ??

I haven't bought countryman a weekly in a long long time but whenever I pick it up its full of silly pictures of lurchers and terriers in daft poses or wearing silly hats or jackets ... There are plenty of magazines that cater for that malarkey ... The hunting posts are very wishy washy and skirt over a proper days hunting with very few action shots ... There is nothing about trapping or snaring and in my opinion is to politically correct and to afraid to promote hunting in the raw form it should be represented at ..........

• Like 3

When I first bought it was early nineties, on a Friday ? With me old Holborn an green rizlas.was still at school then it was an I know I've banged on about this before sporting dog weekly ? An was magazine format with articles about lab x lurchers ,extinct dog breeds etc

It then changed to paper format and amalgamated with game keeper and become countrymans weekly, but it then became like all the air gun sea angler mags and repititive to the point where if you bought a years worth,you didn't need to buy the next years. The article on feeding lurchers with brown bread and a homemade stew springs to mind.

Then when the ban came in they wouldn't print anything that was illegal so it became boring.

Ive not bought it seriously since 2005? An the couple times I bought it since it proved to be not worth doing it again.

• Like 1

In the past i've been quite vocal on the issues with CMW and have hardly bought it since the arrival of EDRD.

Funny this thred came out the same week as i bought a copy for the first time in about two years!

Now, for all my past gripes i've got to say i quite enjoyed the read.

Good article from Dave Sleight and another from our own Penny Taylor on stopper pads.

Best of all was a great terrier one from Lyn Harber on Eddie Poole and the terriers of Patterdale.

I've met and hunted with both and only wish Lyn's article was much longer on such a character as Eddie. Lyn could do with a few pages dedicated to him too!

Yer, the mag was ok this week and i'll dip another toe in next week and buy it again(!) only thing that was lacking was/is the classifieds, which has always been my fave bit of any dog mag. Hardly anything there tbh, apart from some new fangled breed called American Rat Terriers at £550 a pop! But i suppose online dog sales will see this section almost vacant soon.

;)

I thought it was sammy Vaughan,I read one article about when he had a dig he used to roll out a sheet of plastic,and put sand on there then when he finished he used to just pull the sheet back over the hole.

Sammy Vaughan was a rabbit controller on the dunes close to where he lived. Kept in touch with him for years via letters phone calls etc as did quite a few people back in the day a real old school gentleman and your right about the sheet when digging on the dunes. :thumbs:

A pic of the dunes.

ferreting%20pics%20267_zpszv08xe99.jpg

Edited by darbo
  • Like 1

In the past i've been quite vocal on the issues with CMW and have hardly bought it since the arrival of EDRD.

Funny this thred came out the same week as i bought a copy for the first time in about two years!

Good article from Dave Sleight and another from our own Penny Taylor on stopper pads.

Best of all was a great terrier one from Lyn Harber on Eddie Poole and the terriers of Patterdale.

I've met and hunted with both and only wish Lyn's article was much longer on such a character as Eddie. Lyn could do with a few pages dedicated to him too!

Yer, the mag was ok this week and i'll dip another toe in next week and buy it again(!) only thing that was lacking was/is the classifieds, which has always been my fave bit of any dog mag. Hardly anything there tbh, apart from some new fangled breed called American Rat Terriers at £550 a pop! But i suppose online dog sales will see this section almost vacant soon.

;)

Those rat terriers were on here in classifieds up top of page. Looks wise no different from a chihuahua x russell

Used to subscribe to it when I lived in the u.k. then got the odd copy sent to me. I then heard there was an article written about The French Game Fair, so I had to get hold of a copy, anyway, contacted the countrymans weekly and they sent me a copy as a gift, kindly. Was pretty disgusted to read that the author of the article wrote the words that "digging to terriers is not yet banned in France"...... not yet banned, (or very very similar words). I can feel my hands tightening at just remembering reading the article by the article, I might have to dig it out and post on here. An anti attitude. :fool:

That was a Mr J.C. Jeremy Hobson.

Anti terrier work but has written books on working terriers. Such is life, if you ignored the hypocrites in this game you live the life of a hermit, LOL.

I don't buy it but my father does and gives it to me. I refuse to read Mr Hobsons articles, no matter how good a heading.

I say fair play to the CMW.

It puts our sport on to the shelves of newsagents everywhere and I'll bet there's many's a child buys and reads it and that can only be good.

IMO anyone who's looking for graphic photos or stories of every last detail are not doing enough hunting.

The CMW is what it is.

I agree with you there neil!

What you said brings something to mind though! Didn't the anti's recently convince Easons to put all hunting magazines on the top shelf, so's under 18's can't purchase them! Saying the content has graphic images within!

You're right Eddie.............and wrong :laugh::laugh::laugh: .

Easons did tell the anti's they'd put fieldsports magazines on the top shelf...........................but didn't :laugh: .

I say fair play to the CMW.

It puts our sport on to the shelves of newsagents everywhere and I'll bet there's many's a child buys and reads it and that can only be good.

IMO anyone who's looking for graphic photos or stories of every last detail are not doing enough hunting.

The CMW is what it is.

I agree with you there neil!

What you said brings something to mind though! Didn't the anti's recently convince Easons to put all hunting magazines on the top shelf, so's under 18's can't purchase them! Saying the content has graphic images within!

You're right Eddie.............and wrong :laugh::laugh::laugh: .

Easons did tell the anti's they'd put fieldsports magazines on the top shelf...........................but didn't :laugh: .

Lol! A well, I lost interest in the whole malarkey fairly early on, never followed up on whether Eason's actually went ahead with it!

• Like 1

;)

I'm a fan of Lyn's work and that short article was thought provoking and I'm glad he wrote it.

• Like 1

1 I've definitely not been dropped on my head

2 my dogs been in twice and I've still not been dropped on my head

3 yes it's pretty pants at times but it is the only thing that would be worth buying I don't do Facebook and don't bother with anything other than this site

And finally there was a good Wright up regarding Andy Kelly been attacked by too so called dog men , j D has done a good few articles as a few other folk of here .

It's not that bad really to be fair

What was the other bloke who lived up in Newcastle or Northumbria ,,,hunted round the dunes on the beach ect,,,,

Les white used to hunt in northumberland,did he live in ashington?He used to ferret around hexam but might have went along the coast to the dunes?

Les White lives at Blyth, had the Bedlington terrier called Cliff. See him the odd time I am over there

• Like 1