I`ve Got My Variation;.......well Almost ;-)

Well, I`ve got my variation :victory: .......well almost! :hmm:

.22lr to changed from closed to an open ticket: Granted.

.22 FAC air: Granted and also open.

An increase from 600 to 1000 rounds of ammunition: Granted

FAC Section 1 Shotgun: Granted when I`m a full member of Maidstone Pistol Club (6 months) send in details with no additional variation fee. :boogy:

My only quibble is the need to be either an individual UKPSA member or a member of a club that's an affiliated a member. I was under the understanding the UKPSA was a volunteer organisation as is the BASC and discourage shooters being forced to become members.

To me practical Shooting/Shotgun is a recreational sport as is Clay shooting, yet if shooting clays we are not asked to join the BASC or a specific clay ground as a reason to own a shotgun for clay shooting?

Being a member of the UKPSA is NOT a requirement to own a S1 shotgun, even though a lot of FEOs try to tell you that it is. As long as the club you are a member of has disciplines that require a S1 shotgun.

Bisley for instance is not affiliated to UKPSA but if you do target shotgun there, that is good reason.

Check out the Home Office guidance

Being a member of the UKPSA is NOT a requirement to own a S1 shotgun, even though a lot of FEOs try to tell you that it is. As long as the club you are a member of has disciplines that require a S1 shotgun.

Bisley for instance is not affiliated to UKPSA but if you do target shotgun there, that is good reason.

Check out the Home Office guidance

Strong advice from someone who knows.

I full intend to Join the UKPSA either as an affiliated or individual membre so for me not a problem. My concern is, as the UKPSA have views on the proposed amendment to the ownership of certain semi-autos in private hands and indeed ask you to read their `stop the bad` page gives them a view which could be considered as political and/or anti European Union Policy. As such can a FEO or licensing authority try to force a member of the public to join such an organisation against their wishes. I think this is dogged ground at the very least!

It will depend on what reason you put down to acquire the S1 shotgun. If you put down vermin control, then he's wrong, however, if you put down practical shotgun then he's right.

The OP wants a S1 shotgun for practical shotgun, so this is what he would have put as good reason.

The FEO saying he has to be a member of UKPSA or an affiliated club is wrong. There is, and never has been, such a requirement.

It will depend on what reason you put down to acquire the S1 shotgun. If you put down vermin control, then he's wrong, however, if you put down practical shotgun then he's right.

So you're saying if for Practical Shotgun we can be forced to join an organisation whose policies we many not agree with? I understand having to be a member of a club which has practical shooting as an activity, but to be forced to join an organisation whom itself say no one should be forced to join it seems a little odd?

So you're saying if for Practical Shotgun we can be forced to join an organisation whose policies we many not agree with? I understand having to be a member of a club which has practical shooting as an activity, but to be forced to join an organisation whom itself say no one should be forced to join it seems a little odd?

It's not just odd. it's untrue.

You obviously know far more than I to call me a liar.

However, the Home Office approved conditions for the police to use state that it is so. See quote below.

I say it again, the OP will need to be, as his FEO stated either an individual member of club member of one of the below mentioned organisations, the most common being the UKPSA.

10. Target Shooting – Club Guns • The *firearm and ammunition shall be used for target shooting, and only whilst a member of *club (insert club) , and only on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

11. Target Shooting – Shotguns • The SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOLID SLUG shall be used for practical target shooting:

(a) The smoothbore gun(s) to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting on land or ranges where the holder has lawful authority to shoot (provided that adequate financial arrangements are in place to meet any injury or damage claim), for disciplines and courses of fire approved by the BWSS or NRA or NTSA or UKPSA.

(B) The solid slug ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting on ranges where the holder has lawful authority to shoot provided that adequate financial arrangements are in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

You obviously know far more than I to call me a liar.

However, the Home Office approved conditions for the police to use state that it is so. See quote below.

I say it again, the OP will need to be, as his FEO stated either an individual member of club member of one of the below mentioned organisations, the most common being the UKPSA.

10. Target Shooting – Club Guns • The *firearm and ammunition shall be used for target shooting, and only whilst a member of *club (insert club) , and only on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

11. Target Shooting – Shotguns • The SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOLID SLUG shall be used for practical target shooting:

(a) The smoothbore gun(s) to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting on land or ranges where the holder has lawful authority to shoot (provided that adequate financial arrangements are in place to meet any injury or damage claim), for disciplines and courses of fire approved by the BWSS or NRA or NTSA or UKPSA.

( B) The solid slug ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for target shooting on ranges where the holder has lawful authority to shoot provided that adequate financial arrangements are in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

Oi! Calm down. I didn't call you anything. :thumbs:

The OP said it was odd to be forced to join UKPSA. I said was not only odd, it was untrue.

Condition 11 above states they must be used on courses of fire approved by the 4 bodies. It doesn't say you have to join any of them.

Message sent to the members helpline of the BASC firearms dept.

I truly can't see what your problem is.

As with all S1 firearms, you are required to demonstrate your good reason to posess. If your applied for one stating your good reason to posess a S1 shotgun is for "practical" shooting, then surley you must expect to prove that you are a member of a club that holds practial shotgun events or are a personal member of the UKPSA thereby giving acess to affilaited grounds on which practical shooting events take place.

You are correct, without your complete understanding of this matter you will not feel confided or comfortable, it looks like step by step you will get your questions answered to your satisfaction, persistence has a habit of paying off. No one should to my mind be offended if after all the assistance given you take your time to be totally sure in your own minds eye.

All the best

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1

I truly can't see what your problem is.

As with all S1 firearms, you are required to demonstrate your good reason to posess. If your applied for one stating your good reason to posess a S1 shotgun is for "practical" shooting, then surley you must expect to prove that you are a member of a club that holds practial shotgun events or are a personal member of the UKPSA thereby giving acess to affilaited grounds on which practical shooting events take place.

It's not the joining of a club or membership of the UKPSA as I will be doing both, it's the being forced to do so and told its a legal requirement.

As far as I can ascertain it is NOT a legal requirement to join the UKPSA to shoot practical shotgun, but lots of FEO say you do and as they're the ones with the keys to the safe as it were, it's a lot easier to comply.