Spoilt For Choice

I found myself with an hour to spare the other afternoon so popped over to a local place for the last part of the day. From a shooting perspective its only a single field but its surrounded neighbouring ground made up of some mature woodland or rough, untended scrub making this arable patch a magnet on the right day. There isn't a lot of pressure to hammer them here so I can be a bit more picky and while shooting 5 here last year might seem excessive there were still plenty about. On the last successful visit in the buck season I shot 2 out of 9 deer seen, one of which is a good buck that I want to encourage.

Anyway - on this day the deer were already out feeding when I arrived at 15:30hrs. The lay of the land and the wind meant that it was easy to use a hedgerow as cover and stalk into position on the bipod where I was literally spoilt for choice.

doe1_zpsjjpbcp3o.jpeg

There was a doe and twins (buck & doe), a doe with a single follower (buck), a mature buck and another doe with a massive single follower (doe) with her - eight deer in total. I selected the young doe follower from the set of twins (I wanted to try out my new sausage stuffer and she would make provide the perfect ingredients) and waited for the shot.

doe2_zpsfnvatv4g.jpeg

No... I didn't texas heart shoot it - they spent so long facing away from me I began experimenting with taking a pic though the scope lense. Anyway she eventually turned and I chest shot her to which she went straight down. The doe came back out to see here and would have been shootable but the its a bit too early for the buck kid to be without here so I let her be.

doe3_zpsdcc7grtz.jpeg

• Like 7

Well done Matt , I've tried a few times to get a pic through the scope with rubbish results , was that with a phone or camara and I'm not to worried about the recipe for the sausages just send us a few to try ....well done again .

• Like 1

The sausages looked the part but turned out a bit too salty for my taste despite my best efforts to get the measurements right. The devil is in the detail with these things!

I took the pic on my iPhone by making sure the camera lens was flat against the optic and then tapped the screen for it to autofocus. It was a bit fiddly.

• Like 2