Under 15Tts ?

squab

be a pretty poor show of any busher that couldnt manage couple hours a day so dont mean feck all really.

im wanting them continuing to work long after that with the same drive and determination as when they started the day, if you cant agree on anything one thing iv found is the right spaniel x terriers have got the stamina to keep at it but thats round here and the type cover mine work,they wouldnt suit some places in the country thats for sure,so if your happy with what you got who cares, fecked if i do any more lol

as said if you want up the catch rate up the amount dogs..........simples(there you go,my original question for conversation answered)

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%. I think t

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certai

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience th

be a pretty poor show of any busher that couldnt manage couple hours a day so dont mean feck all really.

im wanting them continuing to work long after that with the same drive and determination as when they started the day, if you cant agree on anything one thing iv found is the right spaniel x terriers have got the stamina to keep at it but thats round here and the type cover mine work,they wouldnt suit some places in the country thats for sure,so if your happy with what you got who cares, fecked if i do any more lol

as said if you want up the catch rate up the amount dogs..........simples(there you go,my original question for conversation answered)

Back to the original question. Why are you so set on the bushers catching as opposed to just bushing?

Does your lurcher struggle on his own?

It always amazes me how these legends are out for hours every single day, I'm pretty dedicated to my dogs but still have to work and I don't even have kids to contend with yet. I walk mine everyday and they hunt but is that what is meant? Getting out properly usually means a full day and some travelling for me and that can't happen every day can it?

I retired aged 42yrs, I am 58yrs old now,hunt on permission 7 days a week and lamp but as a younger man did just like the rest,fitted it in around work,buying a house and raising a family, its hard work raising a family whilst keeping your head above water financially, you have to keep your mrs happy whilst fitting in family life,now with the family grown up and I wonder how I ever found time to work all them shifts, WM

it's gone from a fella wanting opinion's on getting another terrier to stamina and coat's in terrier's ? .. to whoever said a 40 lb dog can't match a terrier of 10 lb go on youtube and type in spaniel field trials . has for stamina it's all about desire and substance , the desire to hunt all day and the build to carry it out, if you have a little terrier with a good build ' a little lump ' and it love's hunting it will go all day. however once you hunt 3 -4 day's a week it break's as many dog's as it make's . despite what the ' mocker's ' say bushing is hard work , it's true that any dog will chase a rabbit but it doesn't follow that they'll be any good at it. bramble is the factory floor for bushing dog's and they should thrive on it. if a dog of any size or any breeding has hunting instinct and substance it'll go all day.

my mate has twelve terrier's that run has a pack, on permission land they catch 5- 8 rabbit's in cover each trip. On our local gaff's the same pack haven't had a single rabbit catch in three month ..one rabbit every thousand yard's locally , so it depend's on number's of quarry and number's of dog's . 99.9 percent of terrier's , worked solo and rat's aside , will NOT catch everyday unless they walk land bouncing in game or you include hedgehog's !

• Like 2

I have the privilege of hunting 400 ackers of land with a massive population of rabbit and have regularly taken over 1000 a year from it with different methods shooting included and with my solo bushing dog a Russell I only get a hand full a year when I ran a lurcher with him we did extremely well 20 -40 a day we once took 18 rabbits in 3/4 of an hour

Edited by leethedog

it's gone from a fella wanting opinion's on getting another terrier to stamina and coat's in terrier's ? .. to whoever said a 40 lb dog can't match a terrier of 10 lb go on youtube and type in spaniel field trials . has for stamina it's all about desire and substance , the desire to hunt all day and the build to carry it out, if you have a little terrier with a good build ' a little lump ' and it love's hunting it will go all day. however once you hunt 3 -4 day's a week it break's as many dog's as it make's . despite what the ' mocker's ' say bushing is hard work , it's true that any dog will chase a rabbit but it doesn't follow that they'll be any good at it. bramble is the factory floor for bushing dog's and they should thrive on it. if a dog of any size or any breeding has hunting instinct and substance it'll go all day.

my mate has twelve terrier's that run has a pack, on permission land they catch 5- 8 rabbit's in cover each trip. On our local gaff's the same pack haven't had a single rabbit catch in three month ..one rabbit every thousand yard's locally , so it depend's on number's of quarry and number's of dog's . 99.9 percent of terrier's , worked solo and rat's aside , will NOT catch everyday unless they walk land bouncing in game or you include hedgehog's !

Sounds like your pack needs something with a decent nose, as I've said before "DREAMER", try to get out more with some decent dogs, WM

Sounds like your pack needs something with a decent nose, as I've said before "DREAMER", try to get out more with some decent dogs, WM

Get a whippet :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbNaCGDy7g

• Like 1

Bushing is hard physical graft for the terriers, I am asked all the time how I keep mine fit, how long does he do on a slatmill how far do I walk him, all I actually do with him is take him out and he bushes can't keep him out of it, no on off switch for him, and he goes everyday and would go all day aswell it would be no problem for him.

We don't catch a great deal but if I take one or two on a mooch its great, I do it because I love to see all the dogs combine there skills that end with a catch.

ec544c4e2818157bc0a50935f5d53612.jpg

• Like 5

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

thats rubbish worked small terriers all my life never a problem the only time they slowed up was when they were older took longer to get over a days hunting,any terrier would be knackered working cover everyday,

Every terrier might,Beddy,s don,t,fact.

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

thats rubbish worked small terriers all my life never a problem the only time they slowed up was when they were older took longer to get over a days hunting,any terrier would be knackered working cover everyday,

Every terrier might,Beddy,s don,t,fact.

beddys dont what fact