Under 15Tts ?

squab

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%. I think t

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certai

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience th

down here is tight bramble and black hawthorn it can be any terriers patt Russell lakeland tried and watched all sorts there GREAT at first but week bye week they slow down get sorer bye the day in the end there a right state they need to be rested or only work twice a week :thumbs:

Not had this problem up here in Yorkshire but bushing is not my main thing. years back we would go down to Hemel Hempstead with the runners to a lad that bushing was his main thing and he had to rest his dogs up, they got a lot of stick around the eyes.

Edited by Trev70

ask any HONEST dog lad that bushes not dreamers or dogs that go out once a week on the weekend they will tell the truth

the small old type was the best WE have all had them BUT you can only work them till there to sore they work so hard

BUT if you want to go out everyday you can not

Edited by squirell1
  • Like 1

ask any HONEST dog lad that bushes not dreamers or dogs that go out once a week on the weekend they will tell the truth

the small old type was the best WE have all had them BUT you can only work them till there to sore they work so hard

What do you use instead? And how do they avoid the same damage genuine question as I get your point atb

terrier x spaniels have bin the best up to date good wind can take the cosh

BUT still have had a couple of them thru to the terrier and fail

SO with working dogs you can only TRY and if the dog please the person just enjoy them

• Like 3

I will dig this thread back up in 12 months when I've been out every day bushing with my Plummer. lol

All the best and have a steady summer boys.

• Like 2

on the size of bushing dog's i think ' shape ' is has important , i keep hearing whippet cross dog's described as belly-crawling through cover yet there are plenty of springer spaniel's of whippet size and they don't belly crawl ! also, weight isn't being taken into account , a dog of 45 -50lb is the equivalent of three terrier's weight-wise and if they have the 'desire ' they'll split a bramble in half. i like all good bramble dog's but i have seen them of all sizes and stamp's .

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

Tracy, I've read a few of your posts on here and they are very wide of the mark,I've bushed all my life and most of the terriers I've kept catch everyday, I used to work 1 Plummer dog on his own and he would catch rabbits everyday,hold a fox in cover or out on his own, so I guess you've only ever kept poor terriers or ones unsuitable for bushing,some days my terriers catch more than my lurchers.

Squirrell, not all terriers suffer from nettle stings or have eyes that swell up, mine are worked in heavy cover everyday and show no real signs of suffering, I am out 7 days,all year round,again I would suggest buying a type more suited to the work,WM

• Like 1

on the size of bushing dog's i think ' shape ' is has important , i keep hearing whippet cross dog's described as belly-crawling through cover yet there are plenty of springer spaniel's of whippet size and they don't belly crawl ! also, weight isn't being taken into account , a dog of 45 -50lb is the equivalent of three terrier's weight-wise and if they have the 'desire ' they'll split a bramble in half. i like all good bramble dog's but i have seen them of all sizes and stamp's .

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

Tracy, I've read a few of your posts on here and they are very wide of the mark,I've bushed all my life and most of the terriers I've kept catch everyday, I used to work 1 Plummer dog on his own and he would catch rabbits everyday,hold a fox in cover or out on his own, so I guess you've only ever kept poor terriers or ones unsuitable for bushing,some days my terriers catch more than my lurchers.

Squirrell, not all terriers suffer from nettle stings or have eyes that swell up, mine are worked in heavy cover everyday and show no real signs of suffering, I am out 7 days,all year round,again I would suggest buying a type more suited to the work,WM

Best post on the thread.

Best post on the thread.

i second that :clapper:

terrier x spaniels have bin the best up to date good wind can take the cosh

BUT still have had a couple of them thru to the terrier and fail

SO with working dogs you can only TRY and if the dog please the person just enjoy them

Fair enough good luck with them seen some nice terrier x spaniels on threads. I can't for the life of me see why they would take less stick than a terrier tbh unless they weren't entering with the same enthusiasm. A lot depends on the type of terrier and coat, in truth the little terrier I have hasn't got the best coat so takes a bit of stick (never slowed her though) but bro has borders and there coat is top notch and offers some serious protection through cover far better coat than any spaniel type I have ever seen atb Edited by matt1979

the only way as i see it to increase you.re catch rate is to increase the number of dogs in you,re pack the more dogs rattling the rabbits around the more chance of a catch there is no one type or cross that will improve you,re catch rate some dogs have the nack some dont the best catch dog ive seen in cover was a corgi x russell he would stand mortionless in a rabbit run and let the other dogs bring the rabbits to him

• Like 1

hey them honest dog lads and dreamers your on about work during the week,as for bushing worked terriers of all sizes for over 40 years and never a problem with any small terriers injuries or anything else except the usual cut ears that all bushers get from time to time and have never had to leave a small terrier home because its sore and my terriers were worked hard not just by me.

• Like 1

It always amazes me how these legends are out for hours every single day, I'm pretty dedicated to my dogs but still have to work and I don't even have kids to contend with yet. I walk mine everyday and they hunt but is that what is meant? Getting out properly usually means a full day and some travelling for me and that can't happen every day can it?

• Like 2

It always amazes me how these legends are out for hours every single day, I'm pretty dedicated to my dogs but still have to work and I don't even have kids to contend with yet. I walk mine everyday and they hunt but is that what is meant? Getting out properly usually means a full day and some travelling for me and that can't happen every day can it?

Suppose it depends where you live and what you work?

And also what you class as "getting out properly". Half a day bushing to some is a quick walk out for others.

I work nights and get mine out every day for 2-3 hours bushing and mooching. My Plummer hits the cover hard, gets cut up and I wouldn't dream of giving her a days "recovery" as mentioned by others above. It's what she's here for.

I don't know if she would bush "all day" "every day" but I don't need her to so I aren't too bothered. Lol