Under 15Tts ?

squab

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

Which terriers are you referring to fella? When you say they tire easy and and can only be worked twice a week?

And also what sort of work where they getting? Couple of hours bushing? Or a full day hard at it?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%. I think t

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certai

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience th

down here is tight bramble and black hawthorn it can be any terriers patt Russell lakeland tried and watched all sorts there GREAT at first but week bye week they slow down get sorer bye the day in the end there a right state they need to be rested or only work twice a week :thumbs:

I had two bow legged Russell types, both worked daily for at least a few hours and only one tired and that was in old age after two litters and on long days out! Great bushers put untold out for the runners

And that was all in tight bramble!

Edited by j1985

I had two bow legged Russell types, both worked daily for at least a few hours and only one tired and that was in old age after two litters and on long days out! Great bushers put untold out for the runners

And that was all in tight bramble!

any pics :thumbs:

down here is tight bramble and black hawthorn it can be any terriers patt Russell lakeland tried and watched all sorts there GREAT at first but week bye week they slow down get sorer bye the day in the end there a right state they need to be rested or only work twice a week :thumbs:

I've had a little terrier bitch here for about 8 weeks now and the ground we bush is full of bramble and hawthorn, she comes out some right states but never shown any signs of being "beaten" by the cover. If it's in there, it's coming out. And we are out daily without fail.

But that's why I asked what sort of workload you were talking. Hour, 2-3 hours or full days graft. I can't comment on the latter as our bushing sessions are 2-3 hours on average. But she's in the cover for most of that time. Her ears are just like rubber at the ends now and don't bleed any more.

I look forward to seeing if she's still going in with the same enthusiasm at the end of next season.

• Like 1

on the size of bushing dog's i think ' shape ' is has important , i keep hearing whippet cross dog's described as belly-crawling through cover yet there are plenty of springer spaniel's of whippet size and they don't belly crawl ! also, weight isn't being taken into account , a dog of 45 -50lb is the equivalent of three terrier's weight-wise and if they have the 'desire ' they'll split a bramble in half. i like all good bramble dog's but i have seen them of all sizes and stamp's .

I often rescue the odd heavy Ewe entangled in a brambles grasp,they rarely disentangle themselves even after a day or 2 of trying,its a little naive to believe 45-50lb may navigate thick cover better than 10-14lb,id like to see it happen.

• Like 2

She's handy size mate I like them not to big seen some 16" all legs but no substance to them you seem well pleased with her, makes a little walk a lot more fun don't it Gaz atb Flacko

She's handy size mate I like them not to big seen some 16" all legs but no substance to them you seem well pleased with her, makes a little walk a lot more fun don't it Gaz atb Flacko

Cheers fella. I am happy with her. I'm sure she's no world beater but I couldn't ask any more from her at the moment.

• Like 1

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs:

thats rubbish worked small terriers all my life never a problem the only time they slowed up was when they were older took longer to get over a days hunting,any terrier would be knackered working cover everyday,

Had a few russells over the years most have been fast through the cover but this bitch that I had when I was a lad in the early 80's was the best catch dog in the cover, she was about 13'' and she could also hold a fox long enough for the lurcher to get there.russel%20004_zpsnhtrlfcr.jpgrussel%20007_zps1nzrmvyy.jpgrussel%20002_zpsxzmxrid2.jpgrussel%20006_zpshnezwc8l.jpg

• Like 3

thats rubbish worked small terriers all my life never a problem the only time they slowed up was when they were older took longer to get over a days hunting,any terrier would be knackered working cover everyday,

Totally agree to a point,my Lakeys wane by dinner,the Beddy,s go till dark,even in summer.