Under 15Tts ?

squab

Most consistent catcher in cover iv'e ever seen was a cairn terrier, mentioned him on here before a couple of times, very fast through a tight run, his coat was so thick/harsh nothing stopped him, but he damaged everything he grabbed, wouldn't let go type, not a dog i would want tbh. I had a mongrel terrier bitch with a bit of whippet in her, only around 14" and she caught pretty well, but i don't think you can guarantee any dog will catch better in tighter cover. The best dogs iv'e seen on more mixed ground have been small whippet x 's, whippet x terriers, and a whippet x lab, but not the best in really tight cover.

If you just want to up the catch rate a bit the best way would be getting handy with a catapult, i get a fair few chances (when there's plenty about) just stood quiet watching the cover, if i'm lucky i spot one bobbing about as the dogs work it through, some decent powered elastic and a half inch lead ball to cut through the brambles works best.

• Like 3

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%. I think t

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certai

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience th

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%.

I think the ground you hunt also has an impact on the numbers you catch, no matter what dogs you use.

How you doing Rob, ya cool?

well said mate I just need things put in plain English I'm a bit slow lol all good mate just thinking ahead to what I need to add in the future cheers
  • Like 1

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%.

I think the ground you hunt also has an impact on the numbers you catch, no matter what dogs you use.

How you doing Rob, ya cool?

well said mate I just need things put in plain English I'm a bit slow lol all good mate just thinking ahead to what I need/want to add in the future cheers

As has been said I think it a numbers game sometimes and the more dogs that work the cover the better to pressure the rabbits and the more catches you will get in cover. I am biased but like the way my SLT works she is pretty speedy through cover being tiny and she can get where my brothers borders (which aren't big) cant quiet get or certainly have to work slower. She does suffer for it though with a poor coat as apposed to the borders that have a great jacket atb. I like the look of some of the spaniel x terriers though that some have on this site, but never seen one work.

First cross whippet russell if your worried about cover being a bit hard use a wire haired russell over a whippet you have a chance of a few broken coated pups

In fairness though you also have a fair chance of the pups throwing to big to work tight cover quickly and with a tendency to work the edge of cover and not in it atb

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certainly doesn't stop them or slow them down in any way. After a while the ears get so covered with scar tissue that they don't really bleed any more as the skin gets so thickened. Not always pretty to look at, but they do catch a lot in thick brambles. The latest one of the line, 1/4 Whippet now, is only about 14-15 inches and so fast that she slides through cover. The rough coated dogs I used to have were nowhere near as fast in thick brambles.

• Like 5

First cross whippet russell if your worried about cover being a bit hard use a wire haired russell over a whippet you have a chance of a few broken coated pups

In fairness though you also have a fair chance of the pups throwing to big to work tight cover quickly and with a tendency to work the edge of cover and not in it atb

You say yours won't bag one every trip out. tbh I very much doubt any busher would achieve that. Mine catches quite a few in cover, but it's nowhere near as frequently as every day. I think to stand the best chance of doing what you want you need something small, fast and athletic with very quick reactions. A dash of whippet blood can help imo.

The reason i own bushing terriers is for them to thrash cover and make the occupant vacate its domain,so as to put it in front of the gun or dog awaiting,id rather the bushers did not connect,handy at times,yet not their purpose,their purpose is to bush and shift.

• Like 2

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certainly doesn't stop them or slow them down in any way. After a while the ears get so covered with scar tissue that they don't really bleed any more as the skin gets so thickened. Not always pretty to look at, but they do catch a lot in thick brambles. The latest one of the line, 1/4 Whippet now, is only about 14-15 inches and so fast that she slides through cover. The rough coated dogs I used to have were nowhere near as fast in thick brambles.

Have you got your camera fixed yet? Still waiting to see some pictures of her!

I fail to understand that line of thinking S.The majority of fox i thrash from cover,especially thick brambles,have an habit of moving more sleekly and faster than their far smaller terrier cousins,even the ones with thick jackets,jackets that are less dense than Charlie boys,the jacket never halted a fox in flight or its terrier pursuer,id say it aided both to push through better.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

it is the rabbit's defense to take dog's into a maze of run's and lose them ..two terrier's won't catch regularly , you need another terrier .. better still another two , if a rabbit flushes the terrier's can't hunt it down like a hound ,or race it like a running dog .. so it's best to ' contain ' the rabbit, i e , try and keep it in the bramble , clap, shout ,turn the coneys back into cover ,so they have to run back toward's the dog's ..once in a blue moon you'll get a catch out of it.

another way is too hold one dog in your arm's till the first dog find's .. drop the terrier only when he has seen the coney and by dropping him he'll chase the rabbit back into cover

petty tactic's i know but you ' might ' add a few to the tally.

on the size of bushing dog's i think ' shape ' is has important , i keep hearing whippet cross dog's described as belly-crawling through cover yet there are plenty of springer spaniel's of whippet size and they don't belly crawl ! also, weight isn't being taken into account , a dog of 45 -50lb is the equivalent of three terrier's weight-wise and if they have the 'desire ' they'll split a bramble in half. i like all good bramble dog's but i have seen them of all sizes and stamp's .

small terriers can fit thru rabbit runs to catch more They tire easier and take more stick around the eyes ears and try working them everyday It does not work out how we would like it too TRIED it few years back they run out of steam and could only work twice a week after a few months :thumbs: