Under 15Tts ?

squab

both my bushers are 15tts the older one does catch the odd rabbit in cover but definately not certain of bagging one every trip out, the cover i work them can be tight with rabbit runs going through the blackberry and thorn,what type busher could i look at that would catch on a regular basis.

only seeing a few spaniel x terriers is a straight russell my only choice to catch them in this type cover consistantly cheers

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%. I think t

My own line of bushing terriers have been smooth coated for generations now, and whilst they do end up with ragged ears and often get deep scratches along their backs and under their chests, it certai

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience th

You say yours won't bag one every trip out. tbh I very much doubt any busher would achieve that. Mine catches quite a few in cover, but it's nowhere near as frequently as every day. I think to stand the best chance of doing what you want you need something small, fast and athletic with very quick reactions. A dash of whippet blood can help imo.

• Like 4

I suppose it depends where you hunt but if dogs are catching rabbits all the time in cover then the rabbits aren't the same type I seem to hunt. Rabbits are very quick in cover and in my experience they take a bit of catching in cover, yes some will be tagged but usually if they make a mistake. I would be happy if they are flushing them personally then look at a running dog to do the rest atb

• Like 5

You say yours won't bag one every trip out. tbh I very much doubt any busher would achieve that. Mine catches quite a few in cover, but it's nowhere near as frequently as every day. I think to stand the best chance of doing what you want you need something small, fast and athletic with very quick reactions. A dash of whippet blood can help imo.

dont seem to me anything with whippet blood going to get through this stuff far to big,maybe i worded it bit wrong,ok mine catches the odd one now and then yours catches quite a few here lies the difference although id guess we may well work different type cover,dont get me wrong i love them pushing out to the lurcher and bushing certainly not over productive way of catching bunnies its not really about that im just thinking ahead trying to put the extra few in the bag thats all,maybe the case as you say nothing would suit to catch them regular is why im asking the question mate cheers

• Like 1

Mate you can't be sertan of a catch no mater what size or type of dog you got. I've got a Russell of 9 1/2 inch can go through a rabbit run in bramble like a misile he works alone and only catches low double figers a year

i know you cant be certain im not a complete tool lol im just thinking can i up the anti a tad that all,even if it is for low double figures in a year cheers

dont seem to me anything with whippet blood going to get through this stuff far to big,maybe i worded it bit wrong,ok mine catches the odd one now and then yours catches quite a few here lies the difference although id guess we may well work different type cover,dont get me wrong i love them pushing out to the lurcher and bushing certainly not over productive way of catching bunnies its not really about that im just thinking ahead trying to put the extra few in the bag thats all,maybe the case as you say nothing would suit to catch them regular is why im asking the question mate cheers

If yours get through it ok then presumably something of same size or smaller would also. Mine's somewhere between 14 - 15" so I expect she'd be small enough. She's 1/4 whippet.

Keep thinking about this myself my best catching dog was a small Russell type years ago caught her fair share asked on here about plummers , good nose and fast reflexes but most I seen looked leggy 16" or so would like to find ones about 11-12" should do the job, atb Flacko

• Like 1

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%.

I think the ground you hunt also has an impact on the numbers you catch, no matter what dogs you use.

How you doing Rob, ya cool?

• Like 7

I had a pure whippet bitch about 10 years ago she was 14" she caught a fair amount on her own in heavy cover black berry bushes and dead grass a lot depends tho on the rabbit population I also seen a patterdale type bitch frequently catch as many as 8 or 9 rabbits but the ground was walking with bunies.

I get out with a pack weekly containing terriers and beagle and spaniel crosses bolting to the lurchers. I'v yet to see any of them catch as many rabbits in cover as my 2 short legged Russel types I used to have did.

• Like 1

To catch more you need more dogs. Nothing runs as fast as a rabbit in cover. Small dogs do face less resistance in cover, but they got to have the desire to catch that rabbit and give 100%.

I think the ground you hunt also has an impact on the numbers you catch, no matter what dogs you use.

How you doing Rob, ya cool?

Spot on