Creating A Wildlife Pond

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well in just over a year I truly have a wildlife pond. It's amazed me how quick nature has taken over. Reeds are established water level and colour settled. We have had heron, kingfisher, ducks with b

Let little un have a go today, the dream is coming true. Loved it.

Water level is well up now. About 6ft at deepest part. Had a sit by the waters edge with a beer last weekend listening to the birds tweeting and watchin the rudd topping and remembered what its all ab

Posted Images

Great project and really worthwhile as well!

Our own pond is only relatively small, at around 12ft X 18ft maybe. It's been established a while and is always teaming with newts, frogs and various other bits and bats. Best in the spring when there are hundreds of frogs croaking away with their heads popping out. If you approach it they go mental thrashing around trying to under the water. Its topped up by water from the roof/guttering that runs off an agricultural building that I have close by.

Duck weeds a b*****d mind!

phone%20backup%20321_zpspnpnxnjo.jpg

12664_10151612411025877_1913381268_n_zps

• Like 8

Is it a natural pond sw, or clay, liner, concrete etc? Do you get enough water throigh summer to keep it full?

I think it has a liner of some sort buried under all the mud etc on some of it and I couldn't say about the rest. We've only had the house a couple of years but up until about 5 years ago it was twice the size until the previous owner sold the plot next door and filled in half of it to build the boundary wall. It's always got enough water in it as well but the roof of the buildings a reasonable surface area which is draining in there.

That is fecking brilliant and a great thing for the local wildlife :thumbs:

Have you ever seen any grass snakes around it? With that many frogs it'd be a real tempting food source for them.

I've never seen any no which is a shame. Theres a few large water nature reserves around the village so summer time becomes madness with the frogs especially sat out on the roads

That is fecking brilliant and a great thing for the local wildlife :thumbs:

Have you ever seen any grass snakes around it? With that many frogs it'd be a real tempting food source for them.

I've never seen any no which is a shame. Theres a few large water nature reserves around the village so summer time becomes madness with the frogs especially sat out on the roads

Sounds like if there is any grassies in your area they're spoilt for choice, still a shame you haven't been lucky enough to catch one paying a visit.

Absolutely cracking pond all the same :thumbs:

Edited by BGD
  • Like 1

that is class,i could spend the day out there in me ghillie suit lol

It is pretty therapeutic sitting watching/listening to them. Except for the midges!

• 2 months later...

Well I know it hasnt exactly been dry but my test hole has maintained water level where the clay level is.

Had further discussions with local farmer and looking to get the machinery on the garden through the sprong. Mrs not over the moon because she wants a new bathroom and kitchen but told her I can sort that through winter!

Not much of an update I know but will get pics up when work starts.

• Like 3