Creating A Wildlife Pond

A shallow pond will hold alot more life than a deep pond. And I'd maybe have a serious think about the rushes. Once they take off they are a swine to stop taking over the pond. I'd have Marsh Marigold, and water forget-me-nots in there first for a year before I thought about lilys and rushes. You would be surprised what comes in of its own accord. Also, don't introduce duckweed or it will rapidly take over. Canadian pond weed is a great oxygenator.... :thumbs:

Oh, and fish and newts aren't a good combo...not from the newts point of view anyway. Even sticklebacks hammer the newt larvae severely....

I had planned to do an area that was shallow/boggy where fish couldnt get and I was guna do reeds lillies etc on marginal shelves in about 2ft of water then deeper section about 4-6ft to restrict the spread of the reeds/lillies.

Im into mi fishing and always had lifelong ambition of having mi own little pond to fish when Im an old boy so there will be some coarse fish going in. But in my opinion these are as much a part if a wildlife pond as the plants, bugs, amphibians, birds etc. I wont be stuffing it with fish the same I wont be stuffin it with plants, just want a nice balance which will hopefully grow on together so by the time I pack work in I have a nice little mature pond full of wildlife etc.

Well, in that case, the choice of fish might be a big part on newt survival. Your bottom feeders like tench will be much better for them than sight feeders like perch. When newts are newly hatched they float about mid water (more so if they are Great crested), this makes them extremely vulnerable to predation. Hope you get the pond how you want it.....and please, post piccys... :thumbs:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well in just over a year I truly have a wildlife pond. It's amazed me how quick nature has taken over. Reeds are established water level and colour settled. We have had heron, kingfisher, ducks with b

Let little un have a go today, the dream is coming true. Loved it.

Water level is well up now. About 6ft at deepest part. Had a sit by the waters edge with a beer last weekend listening to the birds tweeting and watchin the rudd topping and remembered what its all ab

Posted Images

It doesnt look it from these but my garden about same size again directly adjacent to the left where you can see greenhouse etc so got a decent plot now to have a nice garden with a little wildlife/fishing pond for when Im an old man!

• Like 2

You don't mess about! I dream about things like this lol. There used to be an amazing old shallow silted up mill pond near me about the same size and it was full of life. It got drained for building land it was gutting and such a shame. A dip with a net revealed allsorts - newts, frogs, toads, sticklebacks and all sorts of invertebrates. It was also a great spot for little owls and bats at night. Good luck and keep us updated.

You don't mess about! I dream about things like this lol. There used to be an amazing old shallow silted up mill pond near me about the same size and it was full of life. It got drained for building land it was gutting and such a shame. A dip with a net revealed allsorts - newts, frogs, toads, sticklebacks and all sorts of invertebrates. It was also a great spot for little owls and bats at night. Good luck and keep us updated.

them photos were taken over about 2 months so some graft went into it...especially to say its just a patch of mud! haha

we get allsorts in garden. bats, owls, woodpeckers, rabbits, foxes, sparrow hawks, pheasant all regular visitors. we have had a buzzard take down a woodpigeon 10 yards from the back door. stoats killing rats and rabbits in the garden. Its brilliant.

Me and my mrs have worked hard for everything we have aswell, no silver spoons or luck here.

• Like 6

I'm sure you have - Sounds a great place. I am pretty sure the little owls where taking froglets as they left the pond there was often several round the pond at once and often just stayed stood on the ground waiting. It was also the first some I ever saw daubentons bats (as well as tons of pipistrelle bats ) It was in the suburbs of Leeds by a huge factory and ring road so just shows how much wildlife they attract.