Creating A Wildlife Pond

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well in just over a year I truly have a wildlife pond. It's amazed me how quick nature has taken over. Reeds are established water level and colour settled. We have had heron, kingfisher, ducks with b

Let little un have a go today, the dream is coming true. Loved it.

Water level is well up now. About 6ft at deepest part. Had a sit by the waters edge with a beer last weekend listening to the birds tweeting and watchin the rudd topping and remembered what its all ab

Posted Images

Pond up and running think I've had just about enough rain to fill it now . ? Just need some plants to put in it , and to put round the sides , its right next to a shed which is raised , so plenty of hibernation for the beasts , will build a small pile with logs to , looks inviting nearly got in myself ??? wild swimming pool,

post-43281-0-42674900-1501398237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Well in just over a year I truly have a wildlife pond. It's amazed me how quick nature has taken over. Reeds are established water level and colour settled. We have had heron, kingfisher, ducks with babies, moor hen with babies, newts, frogs, toads, water snails, all the pond bugs boatman diving beetle etc, dragon flies. It's brilliant. Just had ten mins sat by side of it with a cider watch in nature...

IMG-20180520-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0012.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
3 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Well in just over a year I truly have a wildlife pond. It's amazed me how quick nature has taken over. Reeds are established water level and colour settled. We have had heron, kingfisher, ducks with babies, moor hen with babies, newts, frogs, toads, water snails, all the pond bugs boatman diving beetle etc, dragon flies. It's brilliant. Just had ten mins sat by side of it with a cider watch in nature...

IMG-20180520-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0012.jpg

Jealous! 

11 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

IMG-20180520-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20180520-WA0012.jpg

Brilliant! What a difference!

Cheers, D.

• 4 weeks later...

Been in doing some aquatic gardening and reed control today. Still amazes me how fast everything grows and spreads. Had a moor hen raising her chicks on here last month or so. Yet to see the king Fisher this year though. Plenty of fry in here for it when it decides to visit.

IMG-20180616-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20180616-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20180604-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20180519-WA0009.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
4 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Been in doing some aquatic gardening and reed control today. Still amazes me how fast everything grows and spreads. Had a moor hen raising her chicks on here last month or so. Yet to see the king Fisher this year though. Plenty of fry in here for it when it decides to visit.

IMG-20180616-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20180616-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20180604-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20180519-WA0009.jpg

Great job. Wish I Had the space to do something like this.

Did you introduce the fish yourself?

4 hours ago, dogmad riley said:

Great job. Wish I Had the space to do something like this.

Did you introduce the fish yourself?

I introduced a few yeah. It's amazing when you dig a reasonably bog pond how many people come to you with fish because they don't want their pond anymore! They have bred to produce the fry though, a good sign they are happy and the water quality is ok.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, bell said:

What fish are they mate ?

There is all sorts in it now. I think the fry is Rudd. 

This year I put some carp in from my old boys pond and they have been spawning like mad so expecting a lot more fry to come on aswell.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

You need to stick trout n pike in there too, try your hand at fly fishing in the summers evenings

Actually been considering some pike or trout because there were a few Rudd in there now there is millions of them. Need some predators to balance it out. Few perch in there but not enough to keep on top of them.

• Like 1