Parenting Question

Know it ain't Jeremy Kyle but here we go...want your opinions on this and I won't be one sided...

My sister is 15 and weekends shell say she's staying at her mates but end up coming home with her friends gone 12am. That to me is a problem but ain't even started yet...her friends will tell their parents they are staying at my house and be coming back 2/3 in the morning, my mums words are "make sure you all come home together". It's as if my mum wants to be more of a friend than a parent tbh. Anyway other night coming down stairs and I hear my sister n mum talking n hear my sister say about there being a few rooms. Usual reply from my mum, make sure you come home together. That weekend my sister and her mates got in gone 1pm next day. Other day I come down stairs and sisters best mates smoking in my front room. Grabbed it out her mouth n threw it out the back garden, didn't kick off but reminded her how last year she was at mine in tears when her granddad died of cancer. Today my brothers drove past my sister n caught her with a fag in her hand. She's said she was holding it while her mate done up her coat...bollocks...so when my mums got in I've told her and she replies I've been at work all day I can't be arsed to hear it. Is it just me or is it bollocks parenting? I've tried drugs and I'm not a saint but it's a whole different parenting to what I remember, she either can't be added n has gave up or wants to seem more a parent than friend. If I'd done wrong when younger my mum would be quick to bring in her mates into an argument n mention how they wouldn't put up with it for their kids, now when her mates come round ill bring this stuff up n they avoid the question because their her mate.

As for the little sister smoking, what would you do in my boat? What comes to my mind probably ain't the best way but ill bite my tongue as I'm not gonna get it to happen as I know probably is wrong.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's all this "modern parenting" bollox, I blame.   My sister-in-law is a good example of this. Shesees herself as her kids best mate. Chastisement is a rare thing, let alone any kind of punishment.

You sound genuinely worried about your sister ,I wouldn't over react though , I am presuming your mam goes to work and cooks and cleans for you all , maybe a bit of help is needed ,pitching in as a f

Dare how old are you ?.......aint you got any desire to get on your toes and do your own thing ?.....maybe its me but as a youngster i couldnt wait to f**k off from the family home who needs all that

Your talking out your arse? I'm a fully grown man. Don't know if you read what I wrote, was asking if its just me or is the parenting bollocks. How many here are the same or would allow the same with their 15year old daughter. Am wondering am I right in my way or thinking or is my thinking alien and I'm going over the top as an older brother.

Edited to add...I tell ya what and ain't one for being a keyboard warrior but go f**k your mum how about that.

Edited by dare
  • Like 2

Know it ain't Jeremy Kyle but here we go...want your opinions on this and I won't be one sided...

My sister is 15 and weekends shell say she's staying at her mates but end up coming home with her friends gone 12am. That to me is a problem but ain't even started yet...her friends will tell their parents they are staying at my house and be coming back 2/3 in the morning, my mums words are "make sure you all come home together". It's as if my mum wants to be more of a friend than a parent tbh. Anyway other night coming down stairs and I hear my sister n mum talking n hear my sister say about there being a few rooms. Usual reply from my mum, make sure you come home together. That weekend my sister and her mates got in gone 1pm next day. Other day I come down stairs and sisters best mates smoking in my front room. Grabbed it out her mouth n threw it out the back garden, didn't kick off but reminded her how last year she was at mine in tears when her granddad died of cancer. Today my brothers drove past my sister n caught her with a fag in her hand. She's said she was holding it while her mate done up her coat...bollocks...so when my mums got in I've told her and she replies I've been at work all day I can't be arsed to hear it. Is it just me or is it bollocks parenting? I've tried drugs and I'm not a saint but it's a whole different parenting to what I remember, she either can't be added n has gave up or wants to seem more a parent than friend. If I'd done wrong when younger my mum would be quick to bring in her mates into an argument n mention how they wouldn't put up with it for their kids, now when her mates come round ill bring this stuff up n they avoid the question because their her mate.

As for the little sister smoking, what would you do in my boat? What comes to my mind probably ain't the best way but ill bite my tongue as I'm not gonna get it to happen as I know probably is wrong.

Sounds like typical teenage behavior to me. Your Mother sets the rule's, and you will not benefit from being a snitch.

Ohh mammy doesn't love me, she loves my sister more. Somebody got issues lol

It's a cry for help, show some compassion. :laugh:

ATB

It's just mothers and their daughters . I notice with my kids my Mrs is lenient with the girl even tho she denies it. My Mrs brothers have told me when they were kids their sister (my Mrs) got away with murder with the mother. Their still thick as thieves now and can spend hours drinking tea and chatting

I understand kids will try things, I did. I ain't arsed in terms of "oh my mum and was stricter with us". I don't think it's right for a 15 year old to be coming home early hours of the morning. Can't have your cake and eat it because if any sort of trouble happended with my sister my mum would expect the reaction and would get one.

Hey maybe it is me being a protective older brother? I'm just curious who would allow their 15year old daughter to becoming in the next morning,smoking and whatever else. Sure kids will try and do things but surely should be enough fear or respect to bloody well hide it.

• Like 1

If my sister had tried smoking I'd tell her she's an idiot, staying out late I can't blame her she's a kid they rebel n take the piss. I just thought a parent would be a bit more strict, I probably am over protective on the other hand I don't think I am. Switching off and washing ya hands is easier said than done.

Lol ya b*****ds winding me up. I think it ain't on a 15 year old girl coming in gone 12am and ain't happy about her smoking. I'd like to think that's normal but you never know in this day n age. Gonna have a word with her about smoking might fall on deaf ears but gotta try its my little sister.