Mm, what's a good bacon and sausage pig ?

it's not the breed as such pal I think any pig over 60 or 80kg it's classed as bacon because the bigger the pig the fatter they get and then you get the really large pigs that are for sausages a friend of mine has two up his place and they are gigantic the ones got to be 400kg + he's Guna have to kill them on site though I think, well I wouldn't fancy trying to get them in a stock box anyway lol
a live weight of around 110-115kg is what we send our pigs for bacon try to get porkers around 80-90 and hog roast around 70-75 but that's a commercial unit and they say gos make the best bacon but I'd always use gilts if your going for bacon
  • Like 1

it's not the breed as such pal I think any pig over 60 or 80kg it's classed as bacon because the bigger the pig the fatter they get and then you get the really large pigs that are for sausages a friend of mine has two up his place and they are gigantic the ones got to be 400kg + he's Guna have to kill them on site though I think, well I wouldn't fancy trying to get them in a stock box anyway lol
a live weight of around 110-115kg is what we send our pigs for bacon try to get porkers around 80-90 and hog roast around 70-75 but that's a commercial unit and they say gos make the best bacon but I'd always use gilts if your going for bacon

Cheers, seems the general consensus is boars are only good for a short time and best slaughtered early, I am failing to see the good points in having anything other than gilts, I may just have a dedicated bacon porker as well, love sausages and bacon !

Cheers, seems the general consensus is boars are only good for a short time and best slaughtered early, I am failing to see the good points in having anything other than gilts, I may just have a dedicated bacon porker as well, love sausages and bacon !
well that's a good theory to go by if that's the weights you go by and you do it for a living, that's what il be going by on these next lot cheers for sharing ?

I didn't have any health issues with mine. I was a bit worried when the ground got boggy.

Pigs are susceptible to pneumonia.

My first choice slaughterhouse let me down and delayed the end for 2 weeks.

I would have been in trouble if it had been later than early November when they went as I think it has rained for everyday since.

The pig run looks like the Somme battlefield now.

They did come with worms though. My local vets wouldn't supply any worming stuff till they had had a health check.

So... the vet came, looked over the fence, said 'healthy pigs' then gave them each a worming injection.

Before they were wormed they were doing a lot of scratching and rubbing and had interesting poo.

The vet said this was a one-off treatment for the life of the pig. Possibly they would've needed boosters if I kept them for longer.

Pesky

No health issues at all just wormed and checked daily.lots of straw in the bed nice warm and dry there's no problems. I did build a 12x5 concrete pad I front of the shelter so they always have something hard to stand on and dry when not raining obviously lol.as you will find out the burrow like rabbits.ive one at the minute that has dug down about 5 ft to unearth tree roots.very persistent animals.they have a lot of time to play.and patients to sit all day pushing on a weak bit of a fence and they never forget.enjoy

• Like 1

Well I got my Cph number so good to get some, been quoted £50 a head for slaughter and butchering which I didn't think was bad ?

If you want sausages ,gammon or bacon some slaughter-houses will do it for you. That really bumps the price up of course and you have to allow a few weeks for the curing process.

Remember ,the pluck(heart,liver etc) are your property and unless they fail a health inspection you are entitled to them. Definitely get the trotters and heads back. If you don't fancy them yourself ,ask around, someone's mum or granny will love you forever if you say you have pig's head going spare.

• Like 1

Yep, they have said I get the liver back (that was a must for me) not sure about the heart, I can certainly have the head, will ask about the trotters.

Included in the price is 6kgs of sausages, any more and they charge £3 a kilo which sounded steep to me.

I won't bother too much about bacon from the first few, I will get a dedicated bacon pig, but first I want to see how easy it is to do the bacon myself, as fairly sure that will be a costly exercise at the butchers.

Edited by Rabid

Yep, they have said I get the liver back (that was a must for me) not sure about the heart, I can certainly have the head, will ask about the trotters.

Included in the price is 6kgs of sausages, any more and they charge £3 a kilo which sounded steep to me.

I won't bother too much about bacon from the first few, I will get a dedicated bacon pig, but first I want to see how easy it is to do the bacon myself, as fairly sure that will be a costly exercise at the butchers.

Rabid, making good dry cured bacon is nowhere near as labour intensive as making sausages, and you need no special equipment other than large griplock plastic bags.

Dry cures are easily available from butcher suppliers such as scobiesdirect where it is currently £2.45 for a kg of cure, and at about 40 grams of cure per kilo of meat/fat represents good value IMO when you compare it to that pumped shite that shrinks by half when you cook it as it oozes the white froth. If you use a 2" thick piece of belly you could be tucking in to it in about 5 days.

• Like 2

Rabid, making good dry cured bacon is nowhere near as labour intensive as making sausages, and you need no special equipment other than large griplock plastic bags.

Dry cures are easily available from butcher suppliers such as scobiesdirect where it is currently £2.45 for a kg of cure, and at about 40 grams of cure per kilo of meat/fat represents good value IMO when you compare it to that pumped shite that shrinks by half when you cook it as it oozes the white froth. If you use a 2" thick piece of belly you could be tucking in to it in about 5 days.

That's good news indeed, I will look into it, thanks for the info, certainly sounds a lot easier/cheaper than I expected, I hate that white shite you mention, in fact, I hate half the crap that's pumped into food, hence part of the reason I am raising a few myself.

• Like 1