As per title, I have just applied for my holding number, been wanting to do it for a while, but finally getting things in place to keep a few this year.

This is my first ever venture into piggies, so any advice, or tips greatly appreciated.

The breeds I like the look of so far....

Tamworth, saddleback, gos, and I been offered some large black x Tamworth at a £15 each !

They will be free range but have an arc or something similar to get out the weather when they need.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/351571-oink-oink/

Mine were Gloucester Old Spot. I have just done my first year of pig.

Tamworths and GOS are really friendly. Tamworths really slow growing though.

Weaners are usually £15 to £30 for rare breeds. Maybe more from a dedicated breeder.

Hybrids tend to be more but grow rapidly.

The norm is April to November, else you will need somewhere warm and dry.

Don't forget the electric fence or they will be visiting your neighbours

• Like 1

Mine were gos x pietrane pal and they did grow quickly, Iv got 7 Oxford sandy and blacks now so it will be interesting to see the difference these Sandies are definitely more friendly but I don't give a fuk about that aslong as they taste as good as the last ones, feeding wise I just kept they're troffs full with they gainer and the fruit and veg I got and that's it really don't feed them rubbish bud and they should come good ?

• Like 1

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/351571-oink-oink/

Mine were Gloucester Old Spot. I have just done my first year of pig.

Tamworths and GOS are really friendly. Tamworths really slow growing though.

Weaners are usually £15 to £30 for rare breeds. Maybe more from a dedicated breeder.

Hybrids tend to be more but grow rapidly.

The norm is April to November, else you will need somewhere warm and dry.

Don't forget the electric fence or they will be visiting your neighbours

I do like the GOS, and saddle backs, but have been told the Tammy's are superb eating, I don't mind them been slower growing, except it gives the Mrs longer to name them and make pets !

Warm and dry wouldn't be a problem, I have lots of barns spare, I was thinking I may well end up building a pole barn in the field they are going anyway, 6 - 7 foot tall, 30 x12, enclosed on 3 sides with a roof and open front, would be handy for keeping all sorts in.

May even end up with a farrowing pen if it all goes good

Edited by Rabid

Mine were gos x pietrane pal and they did grow quickly, Iv got 7 Oxford sandy and blacks now so it will be interesting to see the difference these Sandies are definitely more friendly but I don't give a fuk about that aslong as they taste as good as the last ones, feeding wise I just kept they're troffs full with they gainer and the fruit and veg I got and that's it really don't feed them rubbish bud and they should come good

Exactly, I don't care about them been friendly, although it helps when it's time to slaughter them for loading, otherwise they can be totally wild if they taste good ! Sure the Mrs will like scratching and petting them though.

What did you feed them ? Sounds like weight gain pellets ? And veg.

I am hoping to have a walk round the markets/shops locally and find a supply of veg to mix in, and I have a supplier of carrots, £20 for a ton, loaded with a forklift and the last ton I collected was over 2 ton ! I can also easily get wheat and barley, have an orchard so lots of apples, pears and plums, not sure the first lot will be about long enough to see those though.

How long did you keep yours, and how did you make the decision to slaughter when you did, size and weight I guess

Edited by Rabid
  • Like 1

Weaners are cheap this time of year for a reason. Kept outside the pigs and the land will end up an unhygenic mess and the ten or twenty quid you saved on buying cheap weaners will be swallowed up by extra food intake they need to stave off the cold.

If you buy piglets at 8-12 weeks old in April or May they will have the benefit of the warmer weather and can take advantage of the autumn windfalls and should be ready for slaughter in October or early November at the latest if you want them for Christmas gammon as it takes time to cure the meat and there may be a seasonal rush at the slaughter-house.

Left much longer ,any uncastrated boars will also be taking an interest in their sisters. As they mature their flesh can also develop something called "boar taint" .

Castration( or any operation or injury) to a pig slows its growth and isn't necessary if its only being kept for nine-months or so.

post-13773-0-01624400-1451835843_thumb.jpg

post-13773-0-86044800-1451836054_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2

Thank

Weaners are cheap this time of year for a reason. Kept outside the pigs and the land will end up an unhygenic mess and the ten or twenty quid you saved on buying cheap weaners will be swallowed up by extra food intake they need to stave off the cold.

If you buy piglets at 8-12 weeks old in April or May they will have the benefit of the warmer weather and can take advantage of the autumn windfalls and should be ready for slaughter in October or early November at the latest if you want them for Christmas gammon as it takes time to cure the meat and there may be a seasonal rush at the slaughter-house.

Left much longer ,any uncastrated boars will also be taking an interest in their sisters. As they mature their flesh can also develop something called "boar taint" .

Castration( or any operation or injury) to a pig slows its growth and isn't necessary if its only being kept for nine-months or so.

Thanks, that all makes sense, I am not to bothered about having them ready for Christmas, a

Though I guess that would be a bonus, most of it will likely go in the freezer until I want it.

I do love a good ham on the bone though, so that would be top of my list, not even started looking at curing meats yet.

Can't see the point in getting involved in castration, and boar taint don't sound nice !

Mine were gilts (girls). I had been warned about boar taint, though I wasn't planning on keeping them long enough for this to develop.

Keeping pigs was really good fun and the meat is excellent.

I had lots of 'pig tourists' during their stay too.

Make sure that everything in their run is not going to cause them injury if they chew it.

I put in half an IBC as a non-draining mud bath and when they out grew it, I put in a fibre glass moulded pond - big mistake - I had to dig it out asap.

Difficult when as soon as you go in the run, they are next to you.

I had to dig it out in the dark and they were still chewing the spade.

• Like 2

Mine were gos x pietrane pal and they did grow quickly, Iv got 7 Oxford sandy and blacks now so it will be interesting to see the difference these Sandies are definitely more friendly but I don't give a fuk about that aslong as they taste as good as the last ones, feeding wise I just kept they're troffs full with they gainer and the fruit and veg I got and that's it really don't feed them rubbish bud and they should come good

Exactly, I don't care about them been friendly, although it helps when it's time to slaughter them for loading, otherwise they can be totally wild if they taste good ! Sure the Mrs will like scratching and petting them though.

What did you feed them ? Sounds like weight gain pellets ? And veg.

I am hoping to have a walk round the markets/shops locally and find a supply of veg to mix in, and I have a supplier of carrots, £20 for a ton, loaded with a forklift and the last ton I collected was over 2 ton ! I can also easily get wheat and barley, have an orchard so lots of apples, pears and plums, not sure the first lot will be about long enough to see those though.

How long did you keep yours, and how did you make the decision to slaughter when you did, size and weight I guess

sounds like you've already got all you need to have a fabulous haul of pork mate that's near as damit to what I done with the veg and I really think it showed in the taste and the more free you can get obviously the better yeah it's a gainer grower mix with nuts init and its £120 for half a tone I bought them 9 of October at 30 kg and took them to Slaughter I believe the 14th December and their weight was around 70 to 80kg and I killed then because we wanted them for Christmas and was told that was the correct weight for porkers by the slaughterman
  • Like 1

Mm, what's a good bacon and sausage pig ?

it's not the breed as such pal I think any pig over 60 or 80kg it's classed as bacon because the bigger the pig the fatter they get and then you get the really large pigs that are for sausages a friend of mine has two up his place and they are gigantic the ones got to be 400kg + he's Guna have to kill them on site though I think, well I wouldn't fancy trying to get them in a stock box anyway lol
  • Like 1

I did 3 saddle backs last year paid £25 each I got them end of Jan and slaughtered beginning of November

6E610AF4-CA03-4256-808F-1BAE212D89AA_zps

E35571F3-9D7C-4F5D-9D27-71F3D0A2098D_zps

At the end both about 118kg dead weight you will love it great characters enjoy. Two nearly filler a 500 ltr freezer bear that in mind

96EB4C09-B311-4EE5-B559-E319FAD6A9FF_zps

Without the endless cuts at least 70 odd pork chops

Have fun all the best

• Like 1