Moderator Advice

Good evening chaps.

I'm shortly going to be acquiring two new rifles, a .22 WMR and a .17 centrefire (.17 Rem or .17 Fireball). Not having a great deal of experience with these rounds I would like a little advice (from your personal experience) on what moderators to select.

I currently use a SAK on my .22LR and find it excellent with subsonic ammo. My centrefires use Ase Utra Jet-Z's. The sound moderation is excellent with these but the downside is their weight.

What would you recommend for my new rifles?

Tremo

Edited by Tremo

Hi, I use a wildcat P8 cal specific mod on my fireball and it works well, to me its quieter than my moderated hmr. Regarding .17 cf, do you reload because .17 fireball brass is currently non existent, and I've never seen any factory ammo in the two years I've owned one. Current situation should you choose this round is necking down .221. Whereas .17 rem brass is still available afaik.

Edited by stillair1

Thanks for the info on the moddy stillair1.

Yes I reload. That's was my plan with the .17CF. I'm still undecided if it will be a .17 Rem or a Fireball. I don't know if the .17 Rem is still in production, so I'm guessing that it will have to be a pre-owned rifle. I see that Remington are manufacturing the Fireball in the model 700 model, but I don't know of any other manufacturers that are building them new (?).

How do you find the FB for hunting stillair1?

All information is gratefully received chaps.

Cheers.

Tremo

Hi Tremo, the fireball is a great cartridge slotting in nicely between the .17 hornet and the .17 rem. Its like shooting a hmr on steroids.

Have you a link to the current rem production of .17 fireball, afaik these are all discontinued from production.

My sps fireball had 70thou jump from a sammi spec length cartridge, which meant I was never going to get close to the lands and I was getting issues with consistent accuracy. I had already added a pss stock and rifle basix trigger at this point. Knowing what I do now, I would measure the free bore before I bought a std rem again. The only thing left std on mine now is the breech. But then it is shooting very nicely, but at a cost.

There was a complete .17 fireball cooper for sale on ukv recently, I can pm you the person selling it. I would have snapped it up had it been for sale at the time I was in the market.

Regards Neil

Cheers mate.

Like I said, this .17 centerfire world is new territory for me. I owned a HMR a year or two ago but was very disappointed in its performance and the inconsistency of the factory ammo. It had to go. ;)

I did initially consider the .17 Hornet, but I thought that the ballistics were to close to that of my .223.

SGC have the Fireball in the Remmy 700. £736 at the moment. Like you say, a fair whack to spend on a rifle that you know will require aftermarket work.

How does the barrel hold out in your FB? I believe that the .17 Rem is a bit of a barrel burner at those kind of velocities. What would be the cost of a replacement barrel do you think?

Paul

Hi Paul the cz 527 .17 hornet is a good solid gun. My shooting buddy has one and has no complaints. I've no idea on how many rounds my new barrel will last as I've only put around 100 rounds through it developing a load. A replacement pacnor match barrel will set you back around £800 all in from a top gunsmith. I'm running mine below well below a max load while still giving 4000fps with a 20gn bullet. I'm not going to miss another 100fps. Due to the crap hmr ammo at the moment I can see my fireball coming out often, leaving the .223 mostly for foxing. If I was starting from scratch now I would probably go .17 hornet or .17 rem due to the ammo situation. btw have a look at Richard uttings and sisnipe youtube stuff.

Neil

Edited by stillair1

Thanks Neil.

Yes, I've viewed al the Fireball and Rem footage on YouTube. Excellent stuff. :thumbs:

I might take another look at the .17 Hornet before I make a decision. My .223 is my main goto fox gun, just like you. The plan for my new .17 will be aimed at the smaller stuff, initially.

Once again, thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Paul

Not sure about the 17 centrefire but I don't have any issues with the SAK on my WMR, I have my second Sirocco on my HMR, the first melted and was replaced, and when the latest one dies it will be a SAK on that as well.

post-10759-0-48079800-1451923757_thumb.jpg

My CZ 452 American WMR

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Alright Deker? How's tricks?

I was going to drop you a pm about the WMR. I seem to remember that you mentioned it in another thread a while ago.

I must admit, I was leaning toward a SAK. The only other contender was the Ase Utra Dual. It is not that expensive in the scheme of things. I use Jet-Zs on my centerfires. Sound moderation is good with them, but they are damn HEAVY!

Funnily enough I was looking at a CZ as my first choice for the WMR. How do you find yours? Is it picky when it comes to ammo? Would there be any benefit getting a 455 over a 452?

Cheers.

Tremo

Alright Deker? How's tricks?

I was going to drop you a pm about the WMR. I seem to remember that you mentioned it in another thread a while ago.

I must admit, I was leaning toward a SAK. The only other contender was the Ase Utra Dual. It is not that expensive in the scheme of things. I use Jet-Zs on my centerfires. Sound moderation is good with them, but they are damn HEAVY!

Funnily enough I was looking at a CZ as my first choice for the WMR. How do you find yours? Is it picky when it comes to ammo? Would there be any benefit getting a 455 over a 452?

Cheers.

Tremo

CZ didn't do a 452 WMR in the Silhouette when I got mine or I would have got that, for some reason the 452 American stock is a little shorter than the Silhouette so I had an extended shoulder pad fitted, you can probably just make it out in the pic above #8, and below. Ammo wise it works very well with Hornady 30g V-Max, my previous CZ 452 WMR preferred CCI 40g Maxi Mag.

post-10759-0-26225100-1451948142_thumb.jpg

On the whole CZ do everything I need in a rifle. The bottom one is a Magtech Semi.

I like the 452 and have little real experience of the 455, but I think the 455 American is available in .22lr/WMR/HMR, and the 455 American Synthetic (Silhouette equivalent) is also available in .22lr/WMR/HMR (I may be wrong). Up to you of course but if that is the case I'd get the Synthetic. Personal opinion, you may want a Varmint, etc.

EDIT just looked at the 455, the American and American Synthetic stock are now both the same shape and LOP.

2nd EDIT...

post-10759-0-13272300-1451984270_thumb.jpg

A Previous Style and my last WMR, SAK and Sako mods, I find the Sako quite good as well but its long of course, so SAK still, and yes, CZ are fine for me! :yes:

Edited by Deker