Gwp X Greyhounds

Thats not exactly true that they are a different breed, some might have changed somewhat as almost no-one in the UK will keep DD as you need to go and do all the testing/registering. My gwp is mainly Danish lines, for blood tracking, and they are all bred from German VDD stock. Theres loads of VDD stock being bred as GWP in the UK.

I'd say buying from the VDD registered stock can be a very good idea, but no need to overlook good working bred lines in the UK as they are just as good, but you do need to be more careful. The good thing about the VDD is that your better guaranteed that your getting a dog bred from good stock. The German working breed system is an excellent example of a breeding plan that everyone involved in the breed is encouraged to follow to ensure that its functionality is never lost through shitty breeding practices.

As far as I know, no-one has tried to breed the gwp lurcher as a line/strain, which in my opinion is a must if your going to see the best out of this type.

The first cross to a running dog, is not going to be consistent. Some pups might lack speed, others might lack nose etc

By breeding the best to the best of these crosses, its possible to produce a lurcher type with all the desired attributes of a gwp ... ideally several folk will get on the case with this...

I will breed a litter out of my gwp at some stage, and Ive decided on using the Tigger dog that MIK kindly offered. I'd be pretty confident that most of the pups will be fast enough to add plenty to the bag when hunting up game, but its likely if they were used as a point n slip, or solely as a lamping dog on big fields some would be lacking in speed, but in any case, there is not much point keeping the gwp lurcher if your just pointing and slipping or lamping, though they are rough and ready sorts that are happy to try anything, They are best used for hunting and mooching, mainly. And do very well on bigger game and teeth.

I lamp with my pure, and we catch allsorts its good fun and she is super obedient, but her nose is the stronger sense, the eyes are less important to a gwp lol

Good hunting

• Like 10

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too true, mine were expected to and did many tasks, bushing for rabbits, ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, walked up woodcock and picking up on a shoot. Not only did they do all those different

Here's a few pics of mine just to show how a 1st x cross can turn out, maybe not as cloddy as some would think. She doesn't get as much work as I would like but that's not the dogs fault. Top pic is a

I heard many times from lads that once you have a pointer you won't have anything else ......after owning training and working one I would agree.I got mine last year and this is his first season and h

Posted Images

I've always liked the gwp and can imagine it would make a great foundation for a lurcher. But one thing I've always considered a likely drawback is the whole 'pointing' thing. I'm assuming that going on point is hard wired into their dna, so is pretty likely to be an attribute shared by many gwp lurchers. But the last thing I'd want a lurcher to do is go on point every time it winds game - I want it doing the exact opposite, ie being galvanised into action.

• Like 1

most of the lurchers I have hunted with point in heavy cover so I doubt it will be a problem

FEB_2180_zps0l0jz3im.jpg

they point so they cam work out exactly where the quarry is and then strike

I was going to say the same but the laptop crashed. I have had terriers that point, The point of the matter(pardon the pun) is that they only point static animals if an animal is moving it will follow. So the pointing is not really an issue.

TC

• Like 3

Yes monkey, I agree that plenty of lurchers point then strike. I have absolutely no problem with that. But what I was trying to say was would a gwp based lurcher actually follow through with the strike? Or would it simply hold the point? Years ago I used to go out with a few falconers who used pointers (not all gwps, but gsp and English pointers too) and vizlas, and the one thing all the dogs had in common was that they would hold a point for ages.

Yes monkey, I agree that plenty of lurchers point then strike. I have absolutely no problem with that. But what I was trying to say was would a gwp based lurcher actually follow through with the strike? Or would it simply hold the point? Years ago I used to go out with a few falconers who used pointers (not all gwps, but gsp and English pointers too) and vizlas, and the one thing all the dogs had in common was that they would hold a point for ages.

True, a dog should hold a point when the animal / bird is static if the bird moves or tries to creep off before the flush command is given it is acceptable for the dog to follow the animal / bird. But once the command to flush is given, it then depends on what you have trained the dog to do on flush. In most formal instances the dog should drop to flush IE; falconry and walked up grouse, snipe, woodcock etc: But if the dog is allowed from a pup to chase the flush then pointing is not a problem, in fact I see it as a bonus allowing you to get closer to the dog before it gives chase.

TC

I can see nothing but advantages to a lurcher going on point. My lurcher does it too a degree. If your a mooching type fella carrying a few nets or a gun or what ever sounds ideal. Sounds like endless possibilities and the makings of a very versatile dog which is what lurchers are all about

• Like 1

Very well put tiercel. One thing I have gained through breeding and using my own pointers was that I could bring them on as I wanted to. When on the beating line or out with the Hawks they will hold point for as long as needed. But when out with the lurchers they need to but will flush and chase when needed. If out with ferrets they will mark better then most they will hold rabbits in the net but they seem to know when one bolts and their is no net they will secure it. They seem to no the difference between rabbits and rats from must game and very rarely point they just go straight in. Joe should be the same with any Lurcher breeding. The big problem is people see pound notes mate

Very well put tiercel. One thing I have gained through breeding and using my own pointers was that I could bring them on as I wanted to. When on the beating line or out with the Hawks they will hold point for as long as needed. But when out with the lurchers they need to but will flush and chase when needed. If out with ferrets they will mark better then most they will hold rabbits in the net but they seem to know when one bolts and their is no net they will secure it. They seem to no the difference between rabbits and rats from must game and very rarely point they just go straight in. Joe should be the same with any Lurcher breeding. The big problem is people see pound notes mate

Very interested to hear this, especially the bit about just going straight in on rabbits. Like the sound of em a lot. :thumbs:

An interesting read lads.

The Gwp cross is nothing new and i know lads that have had them a lot longer than I have. My lurcher is 13 years old. I can assure you all that a pointer cross will have a strong pointing instinct but will strike into cover etc when it needs to. A few years ago there was a similar thread and someone said he thought a pointer cross would run down the beam and then stop and point the rabbit. We had a good laugh over that one but I can see why people might think that. As for speed I picked the heaviest set pup and she was a tad slower than some other half crosses I've seen but she caught plenty of rabbits. The pros and cons of a half cross Gwp lurcher are the same as say a half cross collie. Then when you add more running dog it's the same. That's just lurchers isn't it, the earliest lurcher books especially Plummer and Hancock were always banging about the 1/2 cross v 3/4 bred collie crosses for example.

The Gwp cross suits me and my mates, one mate has a promising young spaniel cross. The greyhound cross can get a bit tall for me and I would go for a coursing dog. If I ever want another lurcher I'll just let my in season Gwp bitch run free where Arcticgun off here is exercising his Buddy bred dog Rocco and get a free lining lol.

Edited by pointer
  • Like 5

An interesting read lads.

The Gwp cross is nothing new and i know lads that have had them a lot longer than I have. My lurcher is 13 years old. I can assure you all that a pointer cross will have a strong pointing instinct but will strike into cover etc when it needs to. A few years ago there was a similar thread and someone said he thought a pointer cross would run down the beam and then stop and point the rabbit. We had a good laugh over that one but I can see why people might think that. As for speed I picked the heaviest set pup and she was a tad slower than some other half crosses I've seen but she caught plenty of rabbits. The pros and cons of a half cross Gwp lurcher are the same as say a half cross collie. Then when you add more running dog it's the same. That's just lurchers isn't it, the earliest lurcher books especially Plummer and Hancock were always banging about the 1/2 cross v 3/4 bred collie crosses for example.

The Gwp cross suits me and my mates, one mate has a promising young spaniel cross. The greyhound cross can get a bit tall for me and I would go for a coursing dog. If I ever want another lurcher I'll just let my in season Gwp bitch run free where Arcticgun off here is exercising his Buddy bred dog Rocco and get a free lining lol.

Pointer I remember you on the forums from many years ago and enjoyed your posts then and the pics too.

Some good points made above.

• Like 2