Gwp X Greyhounds

This has been a long time in planning. The pointer is one of the best dog I have owned. He has proved him self in the field at a variety of quarry and in all disciplines of work ie falconry,beating,rabbiting,ratting and trailing this dog has done it all and to a very high standard I do believe that pointers have a lot to offer to the Lurcher.

• Like 4

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too true, mine were expected to and did many tasks, bushing for rabbits, ferreting, wildfowling, pigeon shooting, walked up woodcock and picking up on a shoot. Not only did they do all those different

Here's a few pics of mine just to show how a 1st x cross can turn out, maybe not as cloddy as some would think. She doesn't get as much work as I would like but that's not the dogs fault. Top pic is a

I heard many times from lads that once you have a pointer you won't have anything else ......after owning training and working one I would agree.I got mine last year and this is his first season and h

Posted Images

That's why I didn't put gwp X grey over my bull X bitch now she's more bull than grey put a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull over her and will think of half X gwp in a few years should be more grey in the pups then

Hi monkey I guess you've not had the pleasure to see a good pointer in the flesh mate. They can cover ground effortlessly. They will run all day long. The fram is more suited then some other dogs that are used. Their feet are tight but big and strong with chunky pads that will take on any terrain their coat is good and prey drive second to none. Have been around lurchers all my life but the pointer has really opened my eyes.

• Like 4

Hi monkey I guess you've not had the pleasure to see a good pointer in the flesh mate. They can cover ground effortlessly. They will run all day long. The fram is more suited then some other dogs that are used. Their feet are tight but big and strong with chunky pads that will take on any terrain their coat is good and prey drive second to none. Have been around lurchers all my life but the pointer has really opened my eyes.

My biggest regret dog wise is that I did not discover the GWP until I was in my late 40's. What a breed of dog, as said they can not only do the jobs but do them well. With my first one I had a bitch lined up for him and was going to keep a pup, but he contracted lungworm and had to be PTS at 4 year old, just coming into his prime.

TC

Sorry here that tiercel a sad loss. That was my regret not having them when I was young and that's why it's took me till now to breed them I was worrying that I was getting on a bit. Eight year on and just hoping it's not to late for me or the dog

Sadly it's too late for me now, as much as I love the breed, with my legs it would not be fair on the dog. My first one taught me a lot about dog training, even when I had been producing well trained dogs previously and thought I was the Dogs B. He soon brought me down to earth and made me rethink everything I had learned previously.

I do not think the GWP cross will be for everyone, but if you can understand what makes a GWP tick, and how to work with that. Then the GWP X has a lot to offer.

TC

• Like 3

to be fair I have not seen many run ,I saw a half cross and as a hunter on open moorland it was awesome but lacked that burst of speed that puts game in the bag ..

I have seen a couple of 3/4 bred dogs to a whippet/grey,they were real good at rabbit but had thrown to the running dog .

I think the breed has a lot to offer and would suit my style mooching ,gamekeeping etc but would worry me with the speed....I,m not saying they cant run but sometimes you need that burst of speed that makes game make a mistake.

I have never seen a pure bred dog in the field <would love to>... I am positive they are great all round dogs with prey drive to spare ,its just the speed thing that would worry me

• Like 1

to be fair I have not seen many run ,I saw a half cross and as a hunter on open moorland it was awesome but lacked that burst of speed that puts game in the bag ..

I have seen a couple of 3/4 bred dogs to a whippet/grey,they were real good at rabbit but had thrown to the running dog .

I think the breed has a lot to offer and would suit my style mooching ,gamekeeping etc but would worry me with the speed....I,m not saying they cant run but sometimes you need that burst of speed that makes game make a mistake.

I have never seen a pure bred dog in the field <would love to>... I am positive they are great all round dogs with prey drive to spare ,its just the speed thing that would worry me

I couldn't of put it better myself.

I would love to see a 3/4 grey 1/4 pointer