Memories

Remember it like yesterday, dropped her in a what I thought was a handy spot late morning and despite searching for hours with the old deben box was no sign of her so headed back to the van to bring it closer to the earth.On the way the box picked up a signal well away from the entrances about 8ft down ,a start was made but it soon became clear that we needed some heavier duty tools so blocked up and went home for what we needed ,at which point I fell out with my digging partner so rang another mate for help and he saw the job through to a successful conclusion in difficult ground and weather. .

• Like 6

Remember it like yesterday, dropped her in a what I thought was a handy spot late morning and despite searching for hours with the old deben box was no sign of her so headed back to the van to bring it closer to the earth.On the way the box picked up a signal well away from the entrances about 8ft down ,a start was made but it soon became clear that we needed some heavier duty tools so blocked up and went home for what we needed ,at which point I fell out with my digging partner so rang another mate for help and he saw the job through to a successful conclusion in difficult ground and weather. .

I remember the 1st terrier i ever owned,it was a little bullxrussell called Spot.Back then a mate and myself used to go hunting with an old chap from the next parish down from us,every sunday morn we would be waiting outside his house ready for the days hunting.He would open the door when he heard us and bring us in for tea,tea that was that strong you could tar the road with it but we drank it then he would lat out his terriers and an old collie dog.We would each be given a terrier to lead and a tool of some sort to carry while he walked ahead with the collie and smoking his pipe,what he put in that pipe we will never know but f**k did it smell.He had a strain of red rough coated terriers that resembled a red fell,that was over 40 year ago,where he got them from i dont know.The collie would mark the earth that was occupied then a terrier was entered and the other tied up and we had to be completely silent as no locaters back then,hard for 2 young lads to be quiet but after a few fucks from auld bert we soon learned.It was this same man that helped me enter that little terrier all them years ago and the 1st day we dug to him i was as proud as punch especially when Bert said the dog done well.Bert died not very long after that as did his terriers,i reckon he knew he was seriously ill as 1 day i asked him if he would breed his dogs and his reply was that he would not have any need for them.

• Like 14

Good old pic time does fly try and get something of what dogs you got now as one day you will look back a wish you had taken more. Same situation happened to me and pal ended up with all dogs no bitchs from our old stuffhad some bad luck but got a bit gifted to me of a mate and got a litter from her to one of our old blood dogs so hopefully. Back on course good luck

• Like 5

Written of this before .We used to do a place years ago with the old boy that really got me into it .The farm was an island set in between roads that ran right around it ,We had to use the tradesmen entrance and let the lady of the house know where we were going .She is passed now and the farm sold to equestrian people .She was the most colourful women ive ever met ,from good breeding by her lifestyle and accent but boy she could swear .Her late husband was a colonel and the old boy had cut their garden for years hence the permission .We ferretted ,dug and lamped this place regular to the point i sometimes wondered whether it was worth going but we rarely blanked .The immediate grounds were all rhodidendroms and full of holes beneath ,most disused due to our efforts it has to be said .

One occasion we turned up and saw 3 foxes running amok amongst the rhodies which i now know to have been rutting behaviour .We watched from Normans old van until he could watch no more and let the lurcher out .It was a collie cross and certainly no fox dog but would chase in the style of most jackers but enough to put all 3 to ground seperately .We raced around stopping, each one of us as excited as the next ,from 18 years to 60 odd .We accounted for all 3 as the digging was very easy here ,3 ft being deep in the sandy earths .Back at the house we were treated to lunch as usual where Norman recounted the hunting for the lady as was the way .No drink driving laws then or none we were aware of and several pints later Norman drove us home still buzzing .His pride in his dogs and what they meant remains with me today .Sadly the old boys gone but i was given his dogs before he passed and inherited all the permission.The other lad that came out was sadly killed in a horse riding accident years later but we dug there together after Norman was gone but never had another day to match that .

• Like 14
  • 4 weeks later...